Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I bought a used 2005 Vulcan 2000 Limited with 37K on the odometer. Never thought I'd like anything this huge, but the bike shop checked everything out first and gave it a clean bill of health - It was a deal I couldn't pass up! It's set up with a nice big windscreen, saddlebags, and backrest, and the previous owner took all Kawasaki and Vulcan badging off except for the "Limited 2000" air intake cover, which is kindof neat because not too many people recognize what it is.

I've put about 800 miles on it in the last few weeks and other than the lack of cornering clearance (just never had a cruiser before, all "standards"), I really like this bike!

Anyway, It's got a problem with the speedometer. First thing in the morning (or whenever I get on for the first time that day), when I turn on the key, the electronic speedometer doesn't do its little self-check (it just sits there). When I start riding, it doesn't move. Sometimes it just starts working before I leave the driveway, other days it doesn't start working for a mile or two. I have no more problems with it throughout the day, but every day it does the same thing.

I've tried tapping and slapping on the speedo/tank from all angles and it doesn't change anything, it just starts working on its own without any "assistance" from me.

When the speedo is dead, the odometer still works so I don't think it's the sensor/gear (whatever it uses). Could it just be the electric motor for the speedo?

It's not a big problem because it always starts working within a minute or two, but I'm afraid it's going to go out completely.

Any idea of cause, fix, or where I could get a replacement speedo as inexpensive as possible?

Thanks,

Orygunner.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My '06 V2k LT sometimes doesn't "sweep" the speeometer when starting, but it works when moving just fine. You might want to check all the connectors under the left side chrome cover between the jugs. Could be some corrosion or loose plug.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts