Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 2005 vn2000 and I am tired of seeing it lay almost down! I had some 1-5/16" aluminum stock laying around so I used that to fab up a extension pad for the stand. I set the stand on the material and used a magic marker to draw around the stand to the material. I used a sawzall to carve it close to the size and then clamped my belt sander in the vise and used that to finish it to the shape I needed. I pulled out my port polishing kit and shined it up nice. clamped it to the removed stand and drilled through the pad and into the stand to except 5/16-18 allen head cap screws. I tapped the stand and recessed the heads into the pad. I put a coat of clear coat on the aluminum and secured it to the stand.

I removed the stand to do this due to it made the job much easier to do. I used a brake spring tool to remove the springs. I have attached pics that show the tool and which end to use for what. Piece of cake! It even looks nice tucked up by the frame and it is even easier to lower the stand now too! It can be done if you have a afternoon to burn. If you want to try this mod and need help just give me a shout.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
864 Posts
Now thats cool, this old man sometimes has to do alot of grunting to get the Beast up.... But the V2K is easy compared to my Voyager so now i hava fix, Thanks Farmer..... Bulldozer, never to old to latch on to someone else's idea ....

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
you could call them HorseShoes... or PonyPaws?

farm'str, looks like its not the first time you shoe'd a horse? sorta like a pernament 2x4 under that third leg only much nicer and trim! you should consider fabricating a large qty of this feet and selling them to the industry. There be other brand/model skoots w/similar problem. you got a nice solution! out, ponch

·
Registered
90 Posts
Interested in making them for others?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
farm'str, looks like its not the first time you shoe'd a horse? sorta like a pernament 2x4 under that third leg only much nicer and trim! you should consider fabricating a large qty of this feet and selling them to the industry. There be other brand/model skoots w/similar problem. you got a nice solution! out, ponch

Thanks! You are right, I have shoed many a horse and now this one ;-)

Dent6, It took about 4 hours start to finish to do this one so I would just leave it as a hobby project. If the price/offer is worth it, I will sell you my kickstand and you send me yours. What is it worth to you?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
farmboy, if'n you was looking to make any sizeable qty of these here shoes, best consider a forging or casting. Tho with some new waterjet cutout machines, you could make qty simple, ez, cheaper. Thats the tiket to selling a bunch and not just onesies twosies. labor is too spensive for one at a time cutout n fab for go 2 market. out, ponch

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the offer, But I think that the 2005 has a slightly different kickstand. At least that is what I was told by some one. I guess I will just have to get down to my shop and get creative like you did. I just don't have a good source for the stock piece of aluminum, but I will call around Monday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
farmboy, if'n you was looking to make any sizeable qty of these here shoes, best consider a forging or casting. Tho with some new waterjet cutout machines, you could make qty simple, ez, cheaper. Thats the tiket to selling a bunch and not just onesies twosies. labor is too spensive for one at a time cutout n fab for go 2 market. out, ponch

I will just leave it as a hobby project for now. It is a custom one off ;-)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the offer, But I think that the 2005 has a slightly different kickstand. At least that is what I was told by some one. I guess I will just have to get down to my shop and get creative like you did. I just don't have a good source for the stock piece of aluminum, but I will call around Monday.
Thats why I did the write up so others know they can make their own too, I called the dealer and they said the bolt hole is differant on the 06' and ups. They could order it for me but if it is not correct mounting then I get stuck with restocking fee. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
59 Posts
You did a fantastic job! The peice I bought many years isn't angled like
yours on the bottom. See in my picture how only a part of the block rests
on the ground. It still works great, but yours looks right.

I think I paid $29.95 + shipping in case you were curious. It came with the
bolts to use.

Oh yeah, I didn't remove my kickstand. I jacked the bike up, and layed on my back
working upwards. I was too lazy to get into a fight with the spring from what
I remember. (o:

Herb

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You did a fantastic job! The peice I bought many years isn't angled like
yours on the bottom. See in my picture how only a part of the block rests
on the ground. It still works great, but yours looks right.

I think I paid $29.95 + shipping in case you were curious. It came with the
bolts to use.

Oh yeah, I didn't remove my kickstand. I jacked the bike up, and layed on my back
working upwards. I was too lazy to get into a fight with the spring from what
I remember. (o:

Herb
Thanks Herb. I had to remove some material from the back side (about 1/4" to nothing in the front to get it just right. You can take a cutoff wheel or sawzall to yours to make it right too. It wont take that much effort to make it sit right.

Dave

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks Herb. I had to remove some material from the back side (about 1/4" to nothing in the front to get it just right. You can take a cutoff wheel or sawzall to yours to make it right too. It wont take that much effort to make it sit right.

Dave
Maybe I will find a hill without any traffic. I'll put out the kickstand, lean over on it, and roll backwards a few hundred feet. :)

Herb

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe I will find a hill without any traffic. I'll put out the kickstand, lean over on it, and roll backwards a few hundred feet. :)

Herb
Thats a 2 person job...........................the other guy shoots the video of it so it can be posted here and I laugh my butt off ;-)

Americas funniest videos here we come!

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts