Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a used 2005 vulcan 750. he used 87 octane in it.It didnt want to crank tonight and it would backfire--the carbs were cleaned in 8-14. The gas in it is 2 months old--Should i run higher octane in it and put some sea foam in it too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would not use a higher octane. Does nothing other than cost more.
I sometimes use a little starting fluid on a bike that has been sitting.
Occasional use of Seafoam wouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
918 Posts
i bought a used 2005 vulcan 750. he used 87 octane in it.It didnt want to crank tonight and it would backfire--the carbs were cleaned in 8-14. The gas in it is 2 months old--Should i run higher octane in it and put some sea foam in it too.
First things first, drain that old gas and put fresh in and use 87 octane. Second, after replacing the gas, dump some seafoam in the tank. Bike won't run 100% during that tank due to the seafoam; but the seafoam will clean various parts of the fuel system.

When you say not cranking, do you mean when you push the button, it does nothing; or, do you mean it turns over, but doesn't catch?

Either way, the 750's are notorious for having electrical issues mainly caused by the stator and the regulator/rectifier module. A 750 that afterfires (detonates in exhaust) could indicate a weak spark on one or both cyclinders. Also, if the bike has aftermarket exhaust, you will get what's called "decel popping" which is normal and masked by the stock exhaust pipes.

I would check the state of the battery and see what the voltages are. Take the seat off and mount your volt meter to the battery. With the bike running, rev it and see if the voltages climb. If they don't or barely move, then the stator is not working. You should see the battery voltage peak out around 14.X volts. The bike needs at least 12 volts to turn over properly. If the voltages seem ok, a common upgrade is to replace the wet cell battery with an AGM type. They are a stronger battery and maintenance free.

If the detonation is coming from the intake (backfire), then that is an issue with the fuel system and carbs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply--put in high test gas--bottle of seafoam--and 4 new spark plugs--and the back fire went away--other plugs were nasty--im running it 30 minutes a day to help clean out the carbs--doing great now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts