Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm lookin at buying a 2005 800 classic... only concern is that Kaw and aftermarket don't really have much of an interest in these bikes anymore and I'm worried that when i want to customise or repair my bike, there aren't going to be the easy choice and availability of parts both oem and aftermarket?

Is this right? The other bike I'm looking at is a clean low kms HD 883 sporty, same price but a gazillion more options and parts availability.

Don't get me wrong, im a kawasaki guy and I'd rather the VN, but i don't want to get stuck with an obsolete bike and no parts.

For example, first thing i will do is a set of nice, internally wired 12" apes. This will require extended wiring kit, new custom brake line, new throttle and clutch cables.... Are these still available for the bike?

Also want to put on aftermarket air cleaner and rejet carb, any decent bolt on air kits still available? I remember having a dragtron or something back in 05 when i had one of these bikes.

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm lookin at buying a 2005 800 classic... only concern is that Kaw and aftermarket don't really have much of an interest in these bikes anymore and I'm worried that when i want to customise or repair my bike, there aren't going to be the easy choice and availability of parts both oem and aftermarket?

Is this right? The other bike I'm looking at is a clean low kms HD 883 sporty, same price but a gazillion more options and parts availability.

Don't get me wrong, im a kawasaki guy and I'd rather the VN, but i don't want to get stuck with an obsolete bike and no parts.

For example, first thing i will do is a set of nice, internally wired 12" apes. This will require extended wiring kit, new custom brake line, new throttle and clutch cables.... Are these still available for the bike?

Also want to put on aftermarket air cleaner and rejet carb, any decent bolt on air kits still available? I remember having a dragtron or something back in 05 when i had one of these bikes.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

JP Cycles seem to have plenty of parts and options an blue collar bobbers do a bolt on kit that looks awesome for not bad money. I bought an 05 2 mths ago and think it’s a great bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JP Cycles seem to have plenty of parts and options an blue collar bobbers do a bolt on kit that looks awesome for not bad money. I bought an 05 2 mths ago and think it’s a great bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Heymer, i see you're also from Australia. What are your plans for your 800?

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You just cannot beat Harley Davidson when it comes to aftermarket support.

Sorry.
Absolutely.... that's what i was saying, i was just wondering if there was any support left for the VN800 owners who need to our want to repair or customize their bikes?

Thanks again.
Cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah mate from Gladstone, Central Queensland.

Not a lot really, would like to do the Blue Collar Bobber Kit but save my dollars for a Fat Bob to be honest. I drilled holes in my exhaust end plates for a bit extra noise but gave myself a headache with it now surging from a cold start. But hoping a jet kit will solve that.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's just what you want to do. If you like bolt ons and accessories, HD is the way to go like sfair stated. I'm not a HD guy, so someone else could answer better. But there is plenty of dress-me-up stuff for the 800s.

I have a 1996 800 Classic that was DOA a few months ago when I bought it. I just got back yesterday from going half way across Texas and back--absolutely NO issues. Bike ran like a dream, not even a hiccup. The 800 is an iron work horse in my opinion. Look at my 'signature' and you will see the bikes I have just given up. But the 800 was the one I chose to ride the Three Twisted Sisters and Kickapoo Caverns on. Being in the middle of BFE, dependability is everything to me, plus I can work on it if need be.

I have also owned 900s. Seems whatever I buy, I come back to the 800. As far as air kits for the 800--not much out there it seems and even with those high dollar ones, I read where 800 owners are having problems. I tried grampsizing but it didn't work very well like the Wolf said. Haven't given up on it yet.

BTW, I got 51-53 mpg consistently. Up hill, down hill, around hills, and long straight aways. I don't go all that fast when on a trip, so I'm sure that helped the mpg. Bike is pretty much all stock other than emissions deletion, Cobra exhaust, and the next size up pilot jet.

Let us know what you decide.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Texasgrape, thanks for the reply. Yeah, i have a soft spot for the old 800's too.....

So if i don't do the aftermarket air intake kit, what is the next best thing? How do i get it to breathe a little better? The bike I'm looking at already has the slip on mufflers.

Cheers. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good things at Russian Wolf's website. The Wolf's Bike Shop; just how far do you trust me?
I took off all the EPA garbage, added a separate crankcase breather, and of course a hi flow Cobra exhaust. Nothing goes to my airbox now except air. Bike runs cooler and does breathe a little better. I tried the grampsize intake, but could not get my bike tuned right, so I went back to original except for the crankcase breather addition as you will see on the website.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...The 800 is an iron work horse in my opinion. Look at my 'signature' and you will see the bikes I have just given up. But the 800 was the one I chose to ride the Three Twisted Sisters and Kickapoo Caverns on. Being in the middle of BFE, dependability is everything to me, plus I can work on it if need be.
I see you recently gave up a 2016 Indian scout? I'd like to know what you didn't like about it?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I see you recently gave up a 2016 Indian scout? I'd like to know what you didn't like about it?
I dreamed of owning a Scout only to be disappointed on a number of things. It's the most beautiful bike I've ever owned, a real head turner. Plus it's fast at 100 hp and it's smooth as silk, 8K rpm is its comfort range! It will keep up with most any bike out there, but here is what I didn't like about it:

1. Just too small for me. (I'm 5'-11") 2. Although it's about the same weight as the 800, the wind blows it all over the road. Last weekend I rode in 15-18 mph sustained winds with 30 mph gusts and my 800 bucked those winds 10x better than the Scout. Aerodynamics maybe. IDK. 3. Hot. Even though water cooled, heat rises big time. 4. Just not comfortable, I even tried a Corbin seat. Factory was better. 5. Lastly, only a 3.2 gallon tank w/probably only 3 gallons usable--no crossover tube, no fuel gauge, no reserve. When that fuel light comes on, you better be within 5 miles of a gas station. (This is the largest complaint with Scout owners.) Where I live and ride, I need more range. The fuel issue is the #1 reason I sold it. Comfort #2. Sorry for the long answer, but you asked. :crying2:

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah man, i feel your pain..... i always secretly wanted a scout, but maybe not so much anymore. 😁

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should seriously consider a Yamaha V-Star 900. A great cruiser and well supported.
Hi Shores, yeah the vstars are nice... pity we dont have the 900's here in australia for some reason? We did get the 650 and the 1100...

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
Hi Shores, yeah the vstars are nice... pity we dont have the 900's here in australia for some reason? We did get the 650 and the 1100...
That’s too bad. Another option is the Yamaha Roadstar that a lot of my forum friends in Australia have. 1600 or 1700 cc depending on year. Cheap, beautiful, air cooled and a torque monster. I have a 2008 1700 fuel injected one. www.roadstarclinic.com

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am not aware of anything you can't get for a Vulcan 800, mine is pretty well decked out. HV air kit, jet kit, cobra pipes, Power Commander ignition kit, Mustang seat, Kuryakyn mini boards, shorty wind shield, saddle bags, luggage rack/back rest, crash bars, highway pegs, tool pouch. You can still get these things what else is there.
IMG_3950.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts