Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

My 2005 Vulcan Classic will not start in the morning when it's cold. Here in northern California I'm talking 40's and 50's.

When you start to crank the engine, I hear something that reminds me of when you would get blowback from a carbarator, (which isnt the case here as it's fuel injected) and it would try to fire that one time. Then after that, I can crank it until the battery dies and it won't fire once.

But when I get home from work, I can hop on it, and it'll start right up every time.

There is a "choke" on it, so I tried it once, but it doesn't take long to have a strong gas smell like it was flooded, so I don't do that anymore.

The bike has about 40k on it, and I was told that it could be the spark plugs need to be replaced.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Gyn

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
These bikes don't have a "choke", it is actually a cold start enricher. My 1500 almost never starts in the morning without pulling the enricher knob, especially if it's cold out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
These bikes don't have a "choke", it is actually a cold start enricher. My 1500 almost never starts in the morning without pulling the enricher knob, especially if it's cold out.
On FI models, I don't think it's even an 'enrichener', the plunger just moves a nub on the throttle inkage which opens the throttle a bit - i.e. a fast idle. I've found I rarely have ever used it no matter how cold it is as the ECU temp sensor should adjust RPM for the cold motor and air temps.

Poor cold starts could be an indication the temp sensor is goofy. I think the Service Manual provides details on how to test the sensor (which I suspect is measuring voltage or resistance at various temperatures).

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
1. How many miles on it?
2. Any modifications...pipes, fuel processor, intake, etc?
3. How long have you owned?
4. Any other driveability issues, no matter how unrelated?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all the replies.

It has about 40k on it.
No mods other than a fering (that I'm aware of, I bought it used)
I bought it September, 2015.
No, other than that, it runs like a champ.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
On FI models, I don't think it's even an 'enrichener', the plunger just moves a nub on the throttle inkage which opens the throttle a bit - i.e. a fast idle. I've found I rarely have ever used it no matter how cold it is as the ECU temp sensor should adjust RPM for the cold motor and air temps.

Poor cold starts could be an indication the temp sensor is goofy. I think the Service Manual provides details on how to test the sensor (which I suspect is measuring voltage or resistance at various temperatures).
Ah yes, I always forget about FI since my bike is carbed. I have never had a FI bike, but my next one will be, if there is a next one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi.

I will follow up on the sensor.

I don't know if the plugs are original but I'm going to assume they are and replace them.

Does anyone have a recomendation for what plugs to use?

Startup is very straight forward:

1) Turn key on.
2) Wait for fuel pump to stop (get up to pressure)
3) Push the start button with no throttle.
4) When engine fires I give it a little gas.

I've never had to use the "choke" before, and I've ridden it in the last two winters (this being the third).

Thank you to everyone who has replied.

Gyn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi.

I've used the cold start knob without throttle, and within 5 seconds of cranking the engine I get a very strong gas smell, and at this point the engine does not fire, not even once.

Thank you for replying!

Gyn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered a set of plugs. I used some common sense and went out and pulled one out. It was an NGK DPR6EA-9.

Got four on the way.

I did notice that two of them are really recessed in the head, and I was not able to take them out with a standard 18mm deep socket. i was able to get two of them using the standard socket as these two are not recessed. Do I need to buy anything special to get those other two out?

Again, thank you everyone for all your help!

Gyn

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
What did the old ones look like?
I am betting that they were showing little to no wear.
My cage mechanic told me modern spark plugs are designed to go 100k miles. Don't know about motorcycle plugs, but I'm guessing at least 50k isn't out of the question. Plugs generally give little trouble unless something is fouling them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Have you load tested your battery? If it is even a little weak cool mornings may be enough to kill the spark but let it crank over.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did have that problem before (when the battery didn't have a good charge it would crank but not fire), but I replaced the battery not to long ago. And when I come home after work, it starts right up.

The plugs arrive tomorrow (Thursday). I'll put them in, and give the battery a good charge then try it again in the morning.

Thank you everyone for all your help

Gyn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi.

I received the new plugs last night and promptly gapped and installed them.

The verdict?

In a word? WOW!

I was cranking the engine a lot last week and only had on a trickle charger for about two hours, and after I installed the plugs, the engine started INSTANTLY.

This morning it was (and still is) about 44 degrees, and same thing. Started right up without having to use the "choke".

Thank you again everyone that helped me with this, and I am elated that my bike (and myself) are back on the road again.

Gyn

1 - 20 of 23 Posts