Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2005 1500 classic fi ignition switch

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  waah 
#1 ·
My ignition switch has been hit or miss lately, recently I've had to wiggle and push the key to trigger the fuel pump to start. Yesterday the bike died on the way to work. Turn the key and nothing, no lights or clicks.
Is it possible to install a universal ignition switch or do I need an OEM replacement? I can't find any for less than $200 Canadian.
I've read I'd have to connect the ignition wire to a 100ohm resistor.
Any insight would be great

#2 ·
I am a proponent of OEM parts when it comes to electrical, but there are many universal switches available. Have seen Harley switches installed. Have read that you have to be sure it is okay for the fuel injection model and a resister is necessary. Hopefully other members who have done this modification will contribute their opinions.

OEM Part number is 27005-1256. Here is a list of the years and models with that switch. So if you find a universal switch that says it fits these bikes, should fit yours.
ASSEMBLIES WHERE 27005-1256 IS USED

#3 ·
I am a proponent of OEM parts when it comes to electrical, but there are many universal switches available. Have seen Harley switches installed. Have read that you have to be sure it is okay for the fuel injection model and a resister is necessary. Hopefully other members who have done this modification will contribute their opinions.

OEM Part number is 27005-1256. Here is a list of the years and models with that switch. So if you find a universal switch that says it fits these bikes, should fit yours.
ASSEMBLIES WHERE 27005-1256 IS USED

#5 ·
Hey Edmontonchef please post how you make out. I have an 02 VN1500FI doing the same thing. Plus my ignition key comes out of the switch filthy ever time. My dealer suggested I check all the other switches involved plus the bank angle sensor. I'm real interested in how you do.

#7 ·
Actually no once she is running it's all good. Just initially when you turn the key to start you don't hear the pump and she will just crank. If I Frig with the key on and off you then hear the pump and she fires right up. She has never just shut off. I do have a left side key relocation plate which was installed be the dealership years ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.