Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks I'm new to the forum, just purchased a used 2005 1500 classic. I noticed right away that the young seller had installed 2 1/4 inch straight pipes. Obnoxiously loud, I had no intention of riding up and down my residential streets ruining my neighbors peaceful afternoons. So I found some 2 1/4" baffles to shut her up somewhat. Which got me thing-mind you I am only capable of thinking in terms of carbureted fuel delivery-these bikes come from the manufacturer fairly lean from the gate. Again thinking in terms of carbs, this kid has been running the motor way too lean for as long as he owned it. Putting baffles into the straight pipes-does that richen the mixer? Most importantly does any of this type of thinking hold true with fuel injection? Thank you for your time.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,177 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Happy you decided to join us. Congratulations on your new ride. Good looking bike. Going to move your post to the Model Section so other members who have this model will contribute their opinions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Happy you decided to join us. Congratulations on your new ride. Good looking bike. Going to move your post to the Model Section so other members who have this model will contribute their opinions.
Thank you thank you

·
Banned
179 Posts
nothing to worry about until FI light comes on, if your bike has O2 sensor, which adjusts mixture +-25%
Lots of info about FI systems on youtube

·
Banned
179 Posts
To answer your title question: carbs have nothing in common with fuel injection. Many people consider carbs more complicated than FI.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To answer your title question: carbs have nothing in common with fuel injection. Many people consider carbs more complicated than FI.
Does that mean installing less restrictive exhaust will not result in a leaner fuel mixture like it would with carbs?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nothing to worry about until FI light comes on, if your bike has O2 sensor, which adjusts mixture +-25%
Lots of info about FI systems on youtube
I wish there were O2 sensors but the kid I bought it from has none of the stock exhaust system. Just tooo loud straight pipes. I would love to know that the motor is adjusting itself. With carbs I know to richen the jetting when installing less restrictive exhaust. I don't know if that is necessary with F.I.

·
Registered
2005 Vulcan 1500
29 Posts
Welcome aboard!
I'm on my 3rd 2005 1500 classic, I've tried a few exhausts. The fuel injection system on these bikes don't use an O2 sensor, a very basic system. Adding baffles to those 2 1/4" "neighbor haters" is wise, keeps the peace and a some back pressure is a good thing. You didn't mention if the intake is is stock or modified. If it's stock your probably ok, if its been opened up it's lean. Kinda like sucking thru a straw, exhausting thru a sewer pipe, the straw is your restriction.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your input that's what I needed to hear. Since the plugs look a tad lean I wonder if I could richen the mixture by oiling the stock paper gasket. I'm kidding . . .I'm half kidding. I'd almost try that. I love the way fuel injected motors start but I miss having the ability to fine tune the air/fuel mixture with little changes to a pilot jet, needle, needle position, main jet etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 2005 Classic FI. I rode it for 120,000 miles before a neighbor hit it hard while parked and the insurance company totaled it.
I had V&H straight pipes on it with a Kuryakyn Hypercharger intake. To keep the FI light from coming on it required a Power Commander.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a 2005 Classic FI. I rode it for 120,000 miles before a neighbor hit it hard while parked and the insurance company totaled it.
I had V&H straight pipes on it with a Kuryakyn Hypercharger intake. To keep the FI light from coming on it required a Power Commander.
120,000 MILES?? THESE MOTORS LAST THAT LONG? I wouldn't have guest.

·
Registered
12 Posts
120,000 MILES?? THESE MOTORS LAST THAT LONG? I wouldn't have guest.
When I bought to new I also purchased five years of factory extended warranty, knowing I was going to ride the hell out of it. Oil changes were every 3000 miles or so. At about 80,000 miles the stators died and were replaced under warranty. The cam chains with the sprockets were replaced at about 90,000. Before the bike was totaled the transmission was starting to act up.... at 120,000.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I bought to new I also purchased five years of factory extended warranty, knowing I was going to ride the hell out of it. Oil changes were every 3000 miles or so. At about 80,000 miles the stators died and were replaced under warranty. The cam chains with the sprockets were replaced at about 90,000. Before the bike was totaled the transmission was starting to act up.... at 120,000.
What does a Power Commander do?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Adjusts fuel flow. It can be programmed to make the appropriate flow changes when you add an intake and aftermarket pipes. Remember, this is information from 2005 so I don't know what is available now. My 2013 Voyager has been Ivanized and he made the changes needed to the ECU, so any additional devices are needed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts