Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 vulcan nomad 1500cc with 20k miles on it.
it is fouling the spark plugs black no oil or fuel on the plugs just black.
took it in to a local shop & they told me that they cant put it the computer as they did not have one. but did say that it could be the coolant temp sensor or map sensor. so i took it to the Kawasaki dealer & they told me that the check engine light is not coming on so they cant put the computer on it to check for a code.. but the think it could be the Throttle position sensor or atmospheric pressure sensor. told me as they are not sure is they put ether 1 in & it was not it they would charge any way... so took it to another place & he is telling me i may have a bad lifter & could run 4 grand... any & all help would be great as i just picked up the bike 3 weeks ago. thank you for taking the time to look

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i can just have to find out how to put picture in
looking on how to do it now

·
Registered
436 Posts
Wow, those are black. Can you double check the plugs are the right ones. I'm wondering if the heat range is off on them. I figure its worth checking the cheap and easy fixes first.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they are DPR6EA-9 thats what the owner's manual say's it calls for..it dose say there is a hotter spark plug that can be used for cold weather or low speed riding. but i am in FL so dose not get cold here

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Some questions:

1. How long have you owned bike?
2. What symptoms were you having?
3. How does the engine start hot/cold?
4. How does it idle hot/cold?
5. How does it go down the road?
6. Any work done, no matter how related?
7. Any modifications...pipes, etc?
8. Any other driveability issues, no matter how unrelated?
9 Have you poured any snake oil into the tank?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1.have had the bike for about 3 weeks.
2.it had to fouled plugs when i looked at it so i put new ones on it.
3 engine start up fine but i am hearing a sputtering kind of sound from the back carb butter fly like if they are not in sink. i can run it & it will run good till it start fouling the plugs out. i drove it for about 50 miles & did not see the fan come on. the only work that i know of if new plugs.new rear tire & brakes.no mods. useing 93 oct fuel . no i have not put anything in the gas tank..the idle adusting screw in all the way in so the bike can stay running at idle if not she will shut off.. Thank you for taking your time to look at this

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Well, the next thing to do would be a fuel pressure check. If fuel pressure was too high due to a faulty fuel pressure regulator or fuel return check valve could cause this. Even a kink in the return line.

One thing it is NOT is a bad HLA(lifter).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you so much Sfair . will look in to that & let you know what comes out of it

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Another thing that comes to mind is the previous owner may have fitted an ill conceived resistor mod to one of the sensors...eg throttle position sensor, coolant sensor,etc.
Check the wiring at sensor points for tampering.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sea Foam & Throttle Body Cleaner

Go to your local auto parts store or Walmart and buy a bottle of Sea Foam and a can of spray throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner).

Take the right side "air cleaner'' round cover off, run the bike and spray the throttle bodies with the cleaner thoroughly. keep the RPM up so the bike doesn't die while spraying the cleaner. Lots of smoke is good!!!

Pour 8 oz of the Sea Foam in the gas tank. Take the bike for a long high speed ride.

In the future, do this at every oil change, except use just 4 oz of Sea Foam.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Take the right side "air cleaner'' round cover off, run the bike and spray the throttle bodies with the cleaner thoroughly. keep the RPM up so the bike doesn't die while spraying the cleaner. Lots of smoke is good!!!

I have to ask....What will this do?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have to ask....What will this do?
It should clean the carbon and other deposits off the throttle bodies and spark plugs. It can't hurt anything even if it doesn't eliminate your problem.

I've been cleaning my throttle bodies and adding 4 oz of Sea Foam at every oil change for over 12 years. :)

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
But it will not correct the underlying problem, so I feel it is a waste.

I have never used Seafoam or sprayed carb cleaner into the intake and my bike runs perfectly, so where does that leave us? Doing so would hurt....my wallet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts