Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
I own a 2004 Vulcan 2000 with cobra long pipes, cobra fi2000 fuel processor, and hypercharger air intake.

About a year ago, it began to crap out under full throttle, so I took it to a Kawasaki dealer. They installed new spark plugs, a new battery, and adjusted the settings on the fi2000. Cost me $350 but it ran perfectly.
Over the next 5,000 miles it slowly began to revert to the same problem, missing badly at anything even close to hard acceleration. It starts and idles perfectly. When you run the throttle up past 2,000 rpm it begins to flutter and stutter, popping and cracking.

I richened up the settings on the fuel processor, and it runs slightly better but still 70mph top speed in 5th gear.

Someone mentioned I should dissconnect the fi2000. I did, but it only ran worse, so I reconnected it.

Anybody out there have any ideas? I'm 63 and used be a decent mechanic on my own bikes, but I know nothing about the inner workings of EFI.

Is there a filter somewhere or a seal that needs replacing?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I'm a long way from a dealer, and short on cash.
tim

·
Registered
578 Posts
No real filter, pump is in the tank, strainer on the pump.

Could be a spark issue (coil breaking down under load), or it could be a weak fuel pump not making enough pressure. Someone on here recently has to replace his pump assembly because the regulator diaphragm ruptured and you can't get just the regulator, it all comes together. I would opt for a used unit off eBay is that's the case as new ones are very expensive (a relative term, I know).

Do you have a manual? You can usually get one on eBay for about $35.

You may have to take it to the shop anyway if you don't have the needed tools to diagnose it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
V2K won't rev.

david, thanks for the informative reply.

i've been messing with it all morning, and i believe you may be right.

either fuel pump assembly or coils.

it runs the same whether sitting still or or under load.

i reset the fi2000 to 3-5-1 as some owners suggested, and it runs way rich now, as the pipes are sooty at the tips. It will not run 70mph as opposed to 60 mph before, but the problem persists.

Looks like I will take it to a dealer, as I am not skilled enough to do that sort of work myself.

The bike has just over 48,000 miles on it so I guess it's to be expected.
These are great bikes and other than this, I've had no problems.

Incidentally, I thought it was feeling a bit heavy at low speeds after I had new tires installed at 46,000. Someone suggested that I run 40psi front and rear. I checked the air, and they only had 25 psi in them. I ran them up to 40psi, and the bike feels MUCH easier to handle at low speeds.

Thanks again.
Tim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shop manual

david, yes i do have a shop manual, and have looked it over closely. That was when I realized this is more technical than i am ready to deal with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unhook fi2000

Yes, I did try that this morning. I disconnected the fi2000 and it made no difference. i know the gas is new and clean. no water in the tank at all. have run some injector cleaner through the last 2 tankfulls.

the plugs are new and the battery is new. all connections are tight.

Looks like I may be in for either new coils or a new fuel pump assembly. :(
After 48,000 miles I guess its to be expected.

i sure appreciate the input and suggestions.

Tim

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
You have a shop manual, have you checked the coils and the fuel pump against the information in the manual?

Myself, I'd think more on the fuel delivery side...but sometimes you get fooled. I tried just about every fuel system cleaner on the planet in my Camaro to try to straighten out what I'd have bet money was dirty injectors. Ended up being the ignition module. Was a lot easier to nail down once it quit running completely when the module finally died.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you may be correct. Ignition coils.
What has fooled me, is that is the exact same problem I had before, when I took it to the dealer, so I thought it was a fuel problem...(and it still could be a weak fuel pump) I guess I will have to let my $120 per hour wrench figure it out and bill me.
Many thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing I have learned since owning this V2K: There are not many mechanics out here in Utah who have ever worked on this model. The reason? They seldom have any serious problems if well maintained, and of course they stopped production of them in 2011.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm having the same problem. When it starts, idle sounds fine but stalls soon after start and will not hit 2000 rpm at all. Bike is currently stripped completely down, fuel pump and fuel injection on the bench and cleaned up. Found a kink in the fuel line but line was not shut off. FI2000R will stay disconnected until I find the problem. It's acting like no fuel (plugs are black and dry). EFI is not throwing a code so it appears all sensors are working correctly. Went into dealer mode 1 and 2 in the ECU and no codes were showing prior the teardown. Cleared ECU anyway. Next step is voltage check for individual injector operation then check the coils (no code 51 or 52 indicated). Going to replace the fuel pump and hose as a matter of course (25K+ miles). Also going to remove the air switching valve and hoses and install resistor at this time. Whole evolution is one big pain in the posterior.

I have another post on this forum about the same problem with few suggestions. Will post updates. Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts