Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking on here for awhile, and now I have a question. Is there any way to tell if the rear wheel bearings have been upgraded to the newer hub without pulling the wheel and hub? Any measurements I can take on the hub?
Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think I read somewhere that if it was done by Kawasaki recall, they put a mark on the bike somewhere to say it been done. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have an 04 with 30k miles just went dark side when I had the wheel off I checked the drive hub bearings all were good

but I have never adjusted the belt to factory spec. it's just to tight for my comfort

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
There's a thread here somewhere that somebody posted some pics of when they changed out the hub.

There is so very few of us that would even have that issue (tis why nobody has really responded). Would only affect the 04's and early 05's.

I wish I could measure my stockers for you. I switched out the entire hub assembly when I had stock wheels/pulley chromed back in 2011.

But then last year, I switched to RC components. The stockers are boxed up in storage. I need to get them out and put them up for sale or something.

Anyways, do a few creative searches here. The pics should show up.

(you know, I've often thought each section should have a sub forum with "technical stickies". (but only very high value ones..))

·
Registered
987 Posts
Bearings

As far as I can tell, there is no "outside" way of telling if the hub has been changed to the dual bearing. Mine look identical (I changed out the drive hub to the newer dual bearing style in 2007). I would certainly recommend doing it if you are already hearing the "squeak" from the hub moving. My original hub bearing broke loose when I was in Deadwood and stopped me right dead, tipping the bike etc.... I replaced the original bearing, but the bearing case was already worn, so I ordered the dual kit for the 2006 and up. Considering the average tour "weight":eek: and type of roads here, it has held up really well.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yoop, how many miles are on the bike? If it's less than 15K(ish) it probably hasn't been done. Much more than that and it's crap shoot. How long have you had it? The reason I ask is that if I were selling mine, I would make a point of saying that it had been done. If whoever you bought it from didn't mention it, I'd assume it hasn't been done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yoop, how many miles are on the bike? If it's less than 15K(ish) it probably hasn't been done. Much more than that and it's crap shoot. How long have you had it? The reason I ask is that if I were selling mine, I would make a point of saying that it had been done. If whoever you bought it from didn't mention it, I'd assume it hasn't been done.
About 39000 on the bike. I've had it a year. Nothing seems noisy or loose, so I think I'll wait till the next rear tire change.

Thanks

·
Registered
987 Posts
Brrrrr

That pic looks like my place last week. 10" of the white stuff....:eek: All gone now, but certainly a portent of things to come....:cool:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I second that it would be nice to have a few good stickyeys
I third that as well. Some stickies on the main topics that everyone wants to know when they first get a 2000 would be helpful.
At the same time you don't want to kill the conversation on this forum but a few stickies similar to the 900 forum is quite helpful and encourages questions and chat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts