Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok then, has anyone tried an 04 ecu, that had a much better tune re ignition timing, in a later model 2000?
So theoretically an 04 ecu should work on all 2000s up to and including the 2007 model?
I have found an original 2004 ecu online for sale, part number 21175-0005 which is the right one I assume, mine is 21175-0026, so I am thinking it might be worth a try.
My 06 is the most detuned model from what I have read, it has about half the timing advance of the 04, down from 52 to 26 degrees, that's a massive detune.
The 04 model must go like a skun cat compared to 06, is this the case?
Has anyone tried this? or have more info on this subject?
These bikes are 2lt tork monsters, and it would be nice to get every bit of it.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I don't remember hearing of anyone doing it. I think I remember some one (don't have a clue who) mentioning something of that nature because they NEEDED a new one and found a used one via ebay. But I don't remember the plan of action or outcome.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No worries, I am looking into all this timing fact or myth stuff on these 2000s.
I have already found out from top tuner here in Australia who has a 2004 and 2007 model 2000s, and says on the dyno there is no difference that he could see in timing or performance on any of the models of vn2000s when they are stock.
Myth 1: Kawasaki retarded the timing on later models after 2004 to detune them. False and Busted. Probably just did the gear timing retard to them I would say.
Now I contacted Power Commander and asked if the PCV with timing in one unit would work on 06 mod 2000 and they said, "Only 2008 and above" WRONG.
This tuner I have spoken to, says it will fit all model 2000s, there is no ECU difference that stops them working on any model 2000, and he has personally fitted them to most models with no problems at all.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Is there a difference between the U.S. And Aussie models? I know the gearing is between some of them. It's just a thought.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
There is more to an ignition advance curve than total timing.
52 degrees....that is ALOT of advance!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is more to an ignition advance curve than total timing.
52 degrees....that is ALOT of advance!
Yeah that's right, it is a lot, someone just plucked that figure from the air and its become fact.
All the forums keep saying the 04 model had all this timing and then they reduced it in later models to save us all from to much power. It reduced to 26 degrees in 06, from the 52degrees in 04, and then crept up again to last model, but not to the magic 52 degrees.
But I have never seen any proof of these figures, or any dynos proving it etc.

Now the tuner I just spoke too said of all the 2000s he has had on his dyno, he has never gained anything from timing on them, but heaps from fuel adjustments with the correct mods.
So Kawasaki must have the timing on these pretty much on the limit.
The timing retard in first 3 gears is all Kawasaki probably did on all models to reduce power down low. IMO

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Now the tuner I just spoke too said of all the 2000s he has had on his dyno, he has never gained anything from timing on them, but heaps from fuel adjustments with the correct mods.
. IMO
Your dyno man is on the right track.

Not more, but the correct ignition advance leads to the best efficiency.
Remember, the sooner you light the flame, the more time that pressure has to try and push the piston back down the hole before TDC, and that reduces efficiency.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts