Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The frame on my Harley Heritage cracked in two places - most likely wore out after 144K miles - and I was wondering if anyone commutes on a Vulcan 500. I have an 80 mile r/t in Los Angeles traffic which means splitting lanes and watching out for inattentive drivers. I would put a National Cycle Plexifairing 3 on it. Also, while the bike only has a little over 6K miles on it (wife's motorcycle) it still has the original equipment from 2004 so I would change the tires/chain/brakes. Don't want to invest upwards of $1K into the bike if using this to commute is not practical - figure it's only worth say $1,500 (?).

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated !

***** Title should read 2004 not 2006

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Congrats on getting a Great bike!

Commuting is what the Vulcan 500 is really good at! It’s probably narrower than the HD and a lot lighter. The engine revs quickly and instantly so you can avoid inattentive drivers when necessary.

I used to commute about 75 Miles r/t with about half 75mph highway and half multi-lane city driving. (The company I work for started letting me use the company truck to commute so I don’t use the bike anymore.)

·
Registered
620 Posts
+ 1 on what Biker Bill said..the 500 is a dream to ride, has pep to spare, has very tame highway rpms due to sixth gear and is easy on gas... I am long retired but often ride 50 miles or so and enjoy the rides very much..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I ride it every two weeks or so for 20 miles up to 55 mph to keep it running but was concerned about the everyday commute. Anyone have issues with the skinny tire on groomed/grooved pavement? Think I can get a year out of it on a daily commute - 12-15K miles?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The Plexifaring is probably more than enough. I have a SlipStreamer Enterprise S-00 and really like it. The tires should last a season easily and no issues with grooved pavement other than a slight 'wobble' as it tries to follow it. (It won't throw you off.)

What are your concerns about the Vulcan 500 for commuting?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill - Concerned about durability - again, only has 6K miles over almost 14 years of use and currently ride it short distances infrequently so wondered if it would be worth sticking upwards of $1K into it for a years worth of commute (12K miles), following semi trucks and getting swept up in their turbulence was also a concern due to the light weight - my Harley with fuel is around 900 lbs so not problem with winds, etc. Just found out while posting that they can weld my frame back to new for less than $1K so really would only need about a couple of weeks (1K miles) out of it. What the heck, I'll put new tires/plexifairing on it anyway and if I like it mix up my commute. Gets great gas mileage compared to the 38 mpg of my Harley.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Rich,

I have almost 200,000 miles on my ‘97 Vulcan 500LTD with *ZERO* breakdowns on the road! Long distance rides, commuting, etc. I consider Hidalgo to be the most reliable bike I have ever owned.

Don’t sweat it. Just ride it. It’ll do just fine.

P.S.: I and my 9-year old son rode 900 miles this weekend in the Texas and Oklahoma panhandles collecting BMR points. (www.bigmoneyrally.com/2018) We had a great time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The frame on my Harley Heritage cracked in two places - most likely wore out after 144K miles - and I was wondering if anyone commutes on a Vulcan 500. I have an 80 mile r/t in Los Angeles traffic which means splitting lanes and watching out for inattentive drivers. I would put a National Cycle Plexifairing 3 on it. Also, while the bike only has a little over 6K miles on it (wife's motorcycle) it still has the original equipment from 2004 so I would change the tires/chain/brakes. Don't want to invest upwards of $1K into the bike if using this to commute is not practical - figure it's only worth say $1,500 (?).

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated !

***** Title should read 2004 not 2006

Hello, Injust got my first bike which is also a 2004 Vulcan 500. 2 days after owning I went on a 135 Mile ride doing between 60-80 (sometimes 90) the whole way and had no issue. Only thing I would do is maybe put a cushier seat on it. The stock seat isn’t bad but I personally don’t care so much for the dip towards the back, it puts all your weight right on your tailbone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Howdy richp5,

I just got myself an '06 Vulcan 500 LTD, and I certainly hope it makes a good commuter, because once I'm licensed it's gonna be my daily for crossing town to work and back. :D

In all seriousness though, buddy of mine has a 2016 Vulcan 900 and uses it as his main transportation every single day (except for business vehicle, of course.)

Whatever path you take, just keep both wheels down, brother!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts