Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone with a service manual for 2004 - 2007 care to look up the intake air temp specs and let me know what it/they are?

Contemplating a retrofit on my 2008 to facilitate an aftermarket air intake and wanting to know if the resistance (or output) is same or different. The sensors physically are different but doesn't necessarily have any forbearance on the sensor output.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks to the generosity of a fellow forum member I received the information. You know who you are.

The 2004-2007 sensor and 2008 and newer sensor have different resistance vs. temperature curves, quite a bit different. No easy plug and play here. Modification of the Big Sucker would be required to put the sensor in the air cleaner.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I know you posted this a month ago so you have probably figured out what you wanna do.
I made a BAK style air filter for my 09 and had to move my sensor below the throttle body. I just lengthened the two wires and dropped em down through a hole in the t/body casting between the intakes. Easy job.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem for the follow-up post. All I've done so far is plugged the hole in the Big Sucker back plate and zip-tied the temp sensor up out of the way. Seems to run fine but eventually I'll remount it properly. Maybe this winter or maybe next year; or maybe not. :)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Only issue I can foresee and I may be wrong is with the temp sensor not installed in the air filter it will be getting heat from the engine as aposed to wind chill in your intake. This will probably lean your fuel mix. Especially at slower speed where heat will not be escaping from around the engine as easily. Just a thought. May be way off.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
427 Posts
When I made my intake, I left the temp sensor hanging out with the thought that it would read colder then reading inside the intake, and so far this seems to be true, if anything the bike is running rich. There is black soot on the pipes.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
When I made my intake, I left the temp sensor hanging out with the thought that it would read colder then reading inside the intake, and so far this seems to be true, if anything the bike is running rich. There is black soot on the pipes.
bingo! its not doing a whole lot. the ecu is not cracking hydrocarbons trying to process ambient conditions which are usually triple digits here. I left mine hanging just above throttle body behind the air intake. it worked fine for 7yrs, no hitch. even if it were a lil rich(?) wouldn't hurt the skoot. some mite even like it that way.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts