Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my winter project yesterday. I saw it on FB market and well it was in my home town and in my price range. I had to go for it.

Took it home put in on the operating table and started to go through the bike. No issues with fuses and a little penetrating spray on the ignition key hole and even that started to work well.

The story is the PO was riding by my town and the bike left them stranded on the HWY. They found a different mode of trans as they were on a time line and could not wait for the bike to be fixed.

Removed the plugs and they were very full of carbon. This bike seems to be stock besdies the aftermarket air filter that looks to be nothing but a bug deflector. I am sure it really does not do much for true air filter and I will be changing it out for either a OEM or supercharger type.

Found a little something in the rear brake.

To the issue. I know that these bike engine can be loud but the rear cylinder is not right. Sound like there is some ticking of louder that should not be happening. I am going to go ahead and do the cam chain mod right away as this engine has 34K miles on it.

The oil was very dirty, so I don't know I might have to flush the engine. I mean it is really bad.

I am willing to take the upper portion of he engine apart and have the cylinders honed and even new pistons and or re-ring it. I just need a little sanctity check on this engine as all bike and models are different.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I'm pretty sure that bike has hydraulic valve lash adjusters. If it's been sitting a while, it might just need fresh oil and a few minutes to warm up and refill the adjusters. My 1700 gets a loud tick every spring for about five minutes the first time I fire it up in the spring.

Good looking bike. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah put some fresh oil and seafoam in it along with the tensioner extensions. Would wait and see what it sounds like thereafter.

The combination of the three and heat cycles may resolve your issue.

I installed a used motor of unknown mileage with good compression in my bike this past season, and those things worked for me. Everyone has their own oil routine, but I've been using rotella t6 to clean out deposits as I expect it's pretty high mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm pretty sure that bike has hydraulic valve lash adjusters. If it's been sitting a while, it might just need fresh oil and a few minutes to warm up and refill the adjusters. My 1700 gets a loud tick every spring for about five minutes the first time I fire it up in the spring.

Good looking bike. Good luck and keep us posted!
That was an issue with my 1600. When I started it the bike had not run in almost 14 years. When I took it for inspection a I asked the mechanic what I should do. He said the lifters had collapsed and that the fix was to keep clean oil in it, and in his words, “drive the hell out of it and the noise will solve itself “. That indeed was the case.

·
Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great guys, I will do that starting tomorrow. I will also do a compression test as it does have 34K miles on it. Hoping tomorrow shines some more light on the trouble shooting. I am sure it is bad and dirty oil issue. It was nasty, more pics to come.

·
Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless the auto compression release has been oil starved and gave up. I have 180 PSI front and 175 rear. I rebuild my 2007 KLR 650 last winter with a nuked valve train. It had a chatistrophic engine issue while the PO was riding it. New head and a few more mods and it is a great running bike.

I am trying to flush the engine now but with the Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR) not working the engine is more or less not turning over. I drained the oil and then put some flush in with the rest fresh oil. It ran for about 1 min and then just stopped. No loud noise or clunk. I do think that the KACR is not working and as you can see from the pics above, there was a lot of metal bits and or shrapnel in there.

Going to start to read up but I am sure have to pull the engine to do any inspection on the engine.

·
Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would guess the PO didn't break into the engine or maybe even removed the oil screen scene it was now. I mean the glue tread stuff might have been from day one off the factory floor.

I am guessing on how the engine is turning over and and the compression on front and back they are done. I might have to go with ebay for replacement heads as I am sure the cam journals is what I see on the screen and in the oil. That is what happened to the KLR as stated above. At least this bike didn't lock up, so I had better stop playing with the flush unless I can do it by just manually moving the oil pump, and I don't think I can...or at least have not done it in the past.

So the engine comes out....pics to follow after I do some more reading and order the correct mannal. I have a manal for the 1600cc and I would guess it would be the same but not sure. Let me know.

·
Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bike is not turning over well with a large charged battery. Well over 300 CCA with large jumper cables not the small ones. No worries all the battery is a stand a lone that I use for projects only.

Removed gas tank, drained and removed radiator. Drained the flushing oil and it look no better than the stuff that came out the first time. Even left a metal residue behind like the first batch. I have not taken the oil screen out as of yet.

Exhaust has been pulled and some of the wire connectors. I will have to move it back to another shed off the table and pull the engine. Put the engine on the table and then start to work on it.

I might have to start another thread as a rebuild of this engine...or stay here and just keep adding. What is the best choice?

The plan is to go with a different light weight exhaust...man that stock thing is funny and well heavy. I don't plan on putting the emissions can back on or all the fun things that go along with that.

The front breather tube that should have gone to the left side emissions area was just hanging in the air under the round cover.

Guessing a PC ver 6 is what I will need, some after market exhaust and maybe a hyper charger for the air intake? As long as this does not got too into the $$$ I will do it. Fresh engine and a nice bike, I like it.

·
Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Bike almost ready to get off the table and over to the big shed to remove the engine.

That is what I found melted into the rear brake caliper. Had to remove the pads to get it out of there. Half melted and or jammed in there.

Hoping that the heads from a Nomad 1500 are the same as the Mean Streak. I have found a few on ebay but not too much. I will make sure before I order but I am guessing my two heads are done for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts