Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
New to forum and have a question. I just purchased a very nice 2003 Vulcan 1500 Mean Streak but the front rim has some spotting. Not sure what they are made of, perhaps magnesium or aluminum, but can't tell for sure. I cannot find any aftermarket chrome rims anywhere to fit this bike and there are no replacement OEM rims in stock anywhere either. What can I do to make this rim look better and what are they actually made of. Can't tell if it is flaked off or just corroded but it is ruining the look of the bike for me. Can it be chrome plated or am I just stuck with it this way. I tried to clean it good and the black came off, assuming it was grease and break dust, but the duller silver spots are still there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is the bike. I can get a close up off the rims when I get home if that helps. Thanks guys!
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Plant

· Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Glad you decided to join us.
Imagine the wheel can be chrome plated or powder coated. Have also read about some spray coatings in a can.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Glad you decided to join us.
Imagine the wheel can be chrome plated or powder coated. Have also read about some spray coatings in a can.
Hey thanks! I’m in Illinois. I figured they probably could be plated or powder coated but wasn’t sure if the imperfections would show up in the new finish or how to prep for the coatings.

· Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
266 Posts
Welcome to the forum....looks like a great bike...love that look.

I will warn you, that is a rabbit hole you are looking at. To ride and enjoy a bike is one thing, to have it look show room condition and ready for the next bike show might be another. I know friends of mine that really love to have their bikes clean and to ride them a lot. Most times they have to settle for a happy wear condition of some paint, rims and other things from miles on the rd.

Either way you go good luck and enjoy that bike, she is a looker.

· Premium Member
2002 Nomad
338 Posts
The wheels are aluminum and any kind of strong alkali will make those dull spots. It's likely the bike ran through some alkaline compound on the road and it splashed up. Very hard to polish off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts