Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys/gals

So a friend of mine and I were getting our bikes ready for spring and his has a strange issue that came up. last week his 1500 started and ran fine, and now he starts it and it is only running on the front jug. We fiddled with it for a bit and the #2 jug came back gradually and it ran with a slight miss and was a little boggy at higher revs. yesterday we went to start again after a couple days and back to the same missing rear cyl.

Checked spark on both plugs and seemed ok
Removed fuel commander to eliminate it as issue, no change
I was thinking maybe fuel as it came back gradually, so we swapped ecu with my bike. no change

Am now starting to think coil, but before we go further i wanted to check with the wealth of experience here.

Any insight or Common issues displaying these symptoms?

As always thanks in advance for any help/insight

bike is a 1500fi 2003 nomad

·
Registered
27 Posts
If the bike is running and the ignition is not firing in cylinder 2 then logically there would be unspent fuel in the cylinder, right? If your plugs come out dry... It'll be the injector that has died or has a bad connection.

Just my thoughts, not an expert.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so an update.

On the weekend we decided to figure this out. After removing the plugs, we noticed a LOT of carbon on them. They are irridium and were new last year.

We had an old set that were removed when we put those in, so put them back in. and away it went and ran very nicely.

Moral of the story, check the simple stuff first. I had never seen plugs cause a complete loss of a cyl so lesson learned.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
You are not out of the woods yet. You have to find out why they carboned up or the new ones will do the same.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are not out of the woods yet. You have to find out why they carboned up or the new ones will do the same.
Hello Sfair,

The reason they carboned up so bad is that we were trying different programs for the Power commander that was installed. He first had a usb model and that one failed, then went to a wiseco controller. We are both new to fuel tuning on motorcycles and learned alot of lessons along the way. We tuned quite rich a few times and ran like that ... he now has a new power commander and was able to find a program that was much closer to what he had on his bike. The original didnt have one that was close so we had to tweak on our own. Same with wiseco.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts