Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Vulcan 1500 mean streak with fi and when cranking, the engine floods and gas is coming out of the exhaust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have checked for shorts from the tps to the CPU and the injectors to the CPU and have returned readings of 1.5+ ohms. I disconnected the wires from the injectors and then turned the key. The injectors hold pressure and do not leak. When the wires are connected the injectors spray as soon as the key is turned on. Any advice?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2002 Vulcan 1500 mean streak with fi and when cranking, the engine floods and gas is coming out of the exhaust.
Im afraid we are going to need a little more information.

Was there any thing that was done to the bike before this happened?
What have you tried to do to troubleshoot?
Was the bike running recently?
Does the bike have an aftermarket fuel manager? dynojet, wiseco?
Any fu

Any and all info you can provide will help to help you :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was a power commander connected along with cobra pipes. The first thing that I did was disconnect the programmer. Also nothing was done except for replacing the battery before the bike started acting up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike will run with the fuel pump disconnected. As soon as the fuel pump is plugged in and the key turned, the injectors spray and flood the motor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There was a power commander connected along with cobra pipes. The first thing that I did was disconnect the programmer. Also nothing was done except for replacing the battery before the bike started acting up.
Was the bike acting up before you disconnected the fuel commander? Was it disconnected as a troubleshooting step?

The injectors should give fuel at startup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the bike was acting up with the fuel commander connected and when I disconnected it, it seemed to spew less fuel. And if i understand correctly, as soon as the key is turned on the injectors should only prine the fuel rail and hold pressure until you begin cranking at which point they would begin to spray?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes the bike was acting up with the fuel commander connected and when I disconnected it, it seemed to spew less fuel. And if i understand correctly, as soon as the key is turned on the injectors should only prine the fuel rail and hold pressure until you begin cranking at which point they would begin to spray?
Fuel volume is controlled by the ECU. When you turn the key on, Does the FI light come on for a few seconds and go out? If it stays on for more than a few seconds, does it go out after say 20-30 seconds?

Do you have a service manual for the bike? there is a trouble shooting section for the DFI functions, including a self diagnosis. if the light is staying on for more than 20-30 secs(key on, Not running) then it is indicating a problem and a self diagnosis can be performed. if there is something indicated(code) then that will give you a starting point to check. if there are no issues indicated, then you will have to start checking all the connectors , grounds and wires for the DFI circuit(Very time consuming and patience testing). Unfortunately there is a lot involved in the DFI and it makes it difficult to diagnose from a distance.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
1. How many miles on the bike?
2. How long have you owned?
3. Did the issue just appear one day as a no-start, or?
4. Was any work done just before the problem?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually it's a relative's bike and they've owned since new. The problem just arose one day. And the bike has 5280 miles on the odo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes the power commander was disconnected as a trouble shooting step. And by "at start up" do you mean when cranking? Because they spray as soon as the key is turned on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I can in a little bit. They are covered in fuel. I did take them out and test for spark by grounding them to the motor and they had good spark.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts