Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2001 vulcan 750. It seems like it runs good but I noticed the choke doesnt work. When I give it choke it wont start at all. I noticed the RPM's dont rise when the choke is applied, I need to look into this issue. So I'm new to motorcycles and what I've been doing was adjusting the idle on the motor.. I was told today to not do that.. =S. So my question is what should I check to fix this choke issue? Also, how many RPM's should my motorcycle idle at when warmed up. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your idle speed should be around 1,050 to 1,100 rpms. Once the bike warms up this is where it should hold.

So that being said, does the bike run fine at idle that you think you need to use the choke or are you having a hard time starting it? Up north here I used the choke all the time when cold out, others say they don't need it. Every bike is not the same. It's very possible that the PO could have had the carbs out at some point to clean them or work on them and didn't put it back together properly. Get yourself a Clymers manual, it's a must if you plan on working on these things yourself. The carbs are a bitch to pull so you'll have to have some patience if you plan on doing that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just doesn't want to start sometimes. If I give it a little throttle it starts up fine. When its idling everything seems fine. I had it idling about 1100 (when its warmed up) so that's good. Yeah I ordered that manual already. I like to work on things. I've never had a motorcycle before so working on this is new to me. I was planning on messing with the choke this weekend see if I could get it fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just went through my carbs and found the same thing. The little bar than runs from one carb choke to the other was disconnected. It just looks like the previous guy did not know how the linkage worked. I figured it out and the choke works like a charm now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts