Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve seen some posts about batteries not holding charges. I got a 2001 en500c very clean with 2489 miles on it. Brand new battery and she fired up like a champ once I got her home. Ran it everyday for about 5 days and the battery died. I charged the battery back up then had some bad weather and didn’t get to ride as often and took her out today. Rode the 2 miles to work no problem. Finished work and rode a mile to the store. Got out of the store and battery was dead again. Had a friend come and set up tender to charge for a bit via an inverter off the cigarette lighter. Got enough of a charge to start her up and bring her home. Now the battery is charged again but I don’t want to have to keep charging the battery every week. So I did the ohms test on what I believe is the stator and when I did the A to B and B to C and C to A I got readings every time. It supposed to stay on 0 I believe. My question is does this mean I need a new stator or is there more I can check first. Thanks in advance. Colt

·
Registered
673 Posts
At the store you could have push started it for future reference.

Charge the battery up to full.
Install and at idle and at 3k rpm check the battery voltage.
This will tell if charging voltage is correct.
Post us the results.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Please fill in your profile to include your bike/location info and that
is easier using a PC vs the app. This will help others answer questions you may ask knowing what year and model bike you have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I charged the battery. Placed it back in. Tested the stator connections to ground and got no readings. Then tested the stator connections to each other and got .5 ohms per. Connected everything back up and started the bike. At idle it was around 12v-13v on each connection. When I revved it up the voltage actually went down. I’m assuming that’s my issue?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
So I charged the battery. Placed it back in. Tested the stator connections to ground and got no readings. Then tested the stator connections to each other and got .5 ohms per. Connected everything back up and started the bike. At idle it was around 12v-13v on each connection. When I revved it up the voltage actually went down. I’m assuming that’s my issue?
The stator resistance measurements sound plausible, but I don't have a lot of faith in low ohms readings of typical meter.

You say 12v-13v at "each" connection?

Please clarify what you mean by each connection. Where exactly did you measure that?

If you are measuring at the battery terminals be sure the meter is set to measure DC volts.

If that is not what you did, start by simply measuring the DC voltage at the connected battery terminals at idle then revved up to 3000 or so. What is the result?

If the voltage is low then move on to more advanced testing; stator output, etc. Bear in mind stator voltage is AC and measured lead to lead, not to ground. Be sure to set the meter to AC volts or the readings will be incorrect/misleading.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Regulator/rectifer is bad....

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Certainly could be, but the OP can confirm the measurements easy enough to minimize the risk of potentially unnecessary parts replacing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts