Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 bone stock 800 drifter that I cant get to star. No Spark on either coil. All light work on the bike with the switch on and it'll crank for days. Tested coils and they test good. Everything is stock. So far I have replaced the Ignition switch, ordered by the part number so I know its the right one. CDI box was also replaced. Pick up coil tests, Coils test good on primary and secondary coils. Stator tests good. I also cleaned the ground wire on the back of the engine just in case.

Neutral light and clutch switches work, the kickstand witch is also working. Everything i tested seems to be in working order, but as soon as you crank it just wont spark. I dont now what else it can be, any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. When the switch is on there is continuity through the spark plug boot. Tested with a spark tester. No spark when cranking . Also tested with my fingers to double check didnt get shocked lol.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
No disrespect intended. You obviously know diagnostic procedures and I dislike stating simple checking, but did you check for spark with the plug connectors removed? Battery condition, ignition fuse, etc... Sometimes when I begin checking an issue, I start looking into the complicated and miss the simple. If all the little bs is ok and you replaced the IC igniter, may have to move on to ECM tests. Electrical gremlins can tee off the Pope.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None taken. Trying to get all the help I can get because I can't figure it out. Yeah checked it with i light spark tester that goes inserts into the boot.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
You seem to have checked everything. Did you check the pickup coil? Longshot, never heard of one going bad. Other items may be starter lockout switch, kill switch shorted, or battery voltage. Only other area I can think of would be the wiring itself. Wish I could be of more help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pick up coil reads within spec. Stator reads within spec. Kill switch is working because if its off it won't crank if on it will let you crank. What is the starter lock out switch? Is it the same as the starter solenoid? The solenoid is good if not it wouldn't crank. From what I have been reading some bikes have a turnover kill switch. In case of a wreck. But i don't believe this bike has one. Do you know if it does or doesn't?

If not I'm thinking a melted wire or something like that too. But I want to make sure I cover all the bases before I start stripping the harness.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I don‘t believe carbureted bikes have tilt kill switches. The starter lockout switch is the clutch switch which you already checked. Here is a link to a parts diagram. Note part illustration number 59026. It is a pulsing coil. Have no idea what it does. Don’t know about a wire in the harness. Would lien more towards a wiring connection or component. Sorry Jcr I’m at a loss. ???

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just a stupid thought - if you checked all of the boxes on spark should you move on to fuel? Also, when was the last time it was running?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sure its no spark.
I already cleaned out the carbs too. The bike had been sitting for about a year. The jets where completely clogged.

So here's the story. I knew the bike before it was mine. It was my cousins who lived in an apartment. He would let the bike warm up a little too long early in the mornings, so I think a neighbor got mad and cut the stator wires. That has been re wired. And like I said the stator reads within spec.
So I know the bike was running perfectly before it sat idle. But thats why it sat for so long.

I'm stumped too. Everything seems perfect.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm sure its no spark.
I already cleaned out the carbs too. The bike had been sitting for about a year. The jets where completely clogged.

So here's the story. I knew the bike before it was mine. It was my cousins who lived in an apartment. He would let the bike warm up a little too long early in the mornings, so I think a neighbor got mad and cut the stator wires. That has been re wired. And like I said the stator reads within spec.
So I know the bike was running perfectly before it sat idle. But thats why it sat for so long.

I'm stumped too. Everything seems perfect.
Sorry, I misread what you originally wrote.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Didn’t know the bike sat for a while.
Did you check the ignition coils and pickup coil according to the factory repair manual?
Did you check the battery voltage and load test it?
Since the bike sat, would disconnect and reconnect every accessible electrical connection.
Check for corrosion, bent pins, and pushed in connectors. Reconnect and pack with some dielectric grease.
Would also check the junction box. Here is a link to the page.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just following up. I tried everything and i couldnt get it to run. I decided to take it to a professional. They re checked everything and they think its the CDI Box. Thats what I was thinking too but I was second guessing myself since it had a new CDI Box, but apparently that box was not oem since it didnt have the oem markings on it. I Ordered CDI box number 2 and it is being shipped to me. I will update when we try it on the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually just picked it up earlier today. Drove it home. It turns out it was the cdi again. Thanks for the help. Now to figure out why its back firing from the carb. But that should be easier than the wiring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts