Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello I just purchased a 2001 1500 Vulcan nomad. The bike has been setting for about 3 years due to tapping in the engine I quickly discovered that the noise was coming from the timing chain so I installed the tensioner extenders. Drained all fuel put fresh fuel in the bike. The bike did not want to idle so I added some seafoam to the fuel rode the bike about 5 miles then parked it and let it set for a day. The next day I started the bike up and it began to idle but the idle was high due to the fact that I tried to raise it with the ideal adjustment. While it was idling high the exhaust pipes got red hot from front to back so i turned the idling down to where it would idle without cutting off and it idled really good. so I took the bike down the road about 5 miles bring it back and the pipes did not have a glow to them anymore. But I did go outside with the lights off in the garage in the complete dark and started the bike up and there was a slight glow to the pipe where it turned coming out of the head should I be concerned about this or should I just ride this tank out then replace the plugs ride it 5 miles and check the plugs...

Thanks Mark...

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Red pipes usually mean lean.

A fuel pressure/flow test might be in order.

Pull plugs and tell us what you see.
Picture even better.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Another thing that can cause hot pipes is rich mixture and exhaust air injection.
Your plugs are showing rich, so clean them up and re-install.
Keep running the Seafoam and see what happens.
Make sure air cleaner element is not choked with dirt, fuel, oil or water, or has been in the past.
If no success, then we will have to dig a little deeper.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I see you mentioned that your timing chains were loose and you installed adjusters to tighten them back up. If your timing jumped a tooth and it went into retard enough that will also make the exhaust pipe run red hot. It does on cars and trucks. We had plenty of the race cars at Ford Motor Co. jump time and boy when you looked at the exhaust manifolds they looked like they came out of a blast furnace.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the bike was not Tappin that bad as soon as the guy heard the tapping he parked it and it was setting for 3 years due to the fact that he only rode the bike when him and his wife was riding together then she got her own bike and then they started riding separately..after I got the bike and put the adjusters on the bike it did not want to run hardly at all now I will tell you the bike had about a half a tank of 3 year old gas in it I filled the bike up with gas and put a can of seafoam in It also i put seafoam in the carburetor and let it set while I worked on the bike. The bike will idle on its own and sounds good other than the pipes getting red.. also when the guy put the Vance and Hines pipes on he did not rejet the carburetor would that make it run rich...

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Depends on the vin I have the Carbureted version
Right you are. In my travels, I have never come across a carbed 2001 Nomad.

I am sitting down here eating some humble pie as I type.

Now, due to the long sit, you are going to have to remove the carb, do a tear down, cleaning, inspection, replace any suspect parts and adjust according to Kawasaki specifications. Anything short of that will only cause you ongoing grief of one sort or another.

Tank and fuel tap should be given same consideration and fuel filter replaced.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Get it running as good as possible first, and then using:

1. Plug readings.
2. Fuel mileage.
3. Driveability.

Use the above to determine what is needed on a case by case basis.

Of course, dyno tune would be the best.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok runs Great but I have put 2 tanks of fuel through it but it still has a glow to the pipes at night as I stated before the the guy I bought the bike from installed the VANCE & HINES Full exhaust System He did not do a jet kit which it recommends to be done. Should I do a jet kit if so which one ? also I would like to do away with the stock air filter

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK real quick I took the carb of and noticed for 1 the carb was not tight to the intake and I could see little black spots where the carb was leaking fuel so I removed the cap for the pilot jet went tighten the screw so I could count the turns. And the pilot jet was already all the way in. What gives this can't be right..... Can it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
OK so this is what I've done. for starters I turn the pilot screw out 1 3/4 of a turn then I Enlarged The hole in the vacuum Piston but only went up to 5/64 in size. Also i put 1 very teeny tiny Thin metal washer under needle put everything back together Pulled the choke/enricher half way out hit the switch bike fired right up Idled a little high but before I was only 1 turn from being maxed on the idling now I could turn it way down and I could not believe how Low this thing would idle. took it up the road good response on throttle no slugging no popping from exhaust on deceleration. no surging at quarter throttle like before it is definitely a different bike. :D:D:)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts