Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Vulcan nomad FI with 50,000 miles on it keeps fouling the spark plugs every 300 to 500 miles
the spark plus are dark black but dry
I put new plugs in and it runs fine again.
Since it's an FI, I do not know where to start, no Fi codes found.
any Ideas anyone???

·
Registered
260 Posts
Im pretty sure my plugs are always black but the bike runs perfect. What plugs you running because you can run NGK 5 6 or 7 heat range with 5 being hottest would keep your plugs from fouling

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Do NOT use spark plug heat range to cover up a problem.
Should run perfectly with factory recommended plug.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
My 2001 Vulcan nomad FI with 50,000 miles on it keeps fouling the spark plugs every 300 to 500 miles
the spark plus are dark black but dry
I put new plugs in and it runs fine again.
Since it's an FI, I do not know where to start, no Fi codes found.
any Ideas anyone???
Any aftermarket mods done to it? Pipes, hi-flow air filter, fuel processor? :confused: Your plugs should be the color of coffee with cream in it.

·
Banned
179 Posts
Do NOT use spark plug heat range to cover up a problem.
Should run perfectly with factory recommended plug.
There are a number of reasons a guy would change the heat range on a spark plug. For instance if your in a high humidity area or very high elevation etc... The factory usually has a rated plug that is a good all around type in a normal climate but if the area you live in is one I stated with different then normal climate then you would change them out for the best one for your area you ride in the most. I found that out when I took my bike from here in Western Pennsylvania out to my daughters in Surprise Arizona for a couple winters. Had to change the plugs and the fuel mixture to get it to run correctly and efficiently in the dry desert landscape.;)

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
There are a number of reasons a guy would change the heat range on a spark plug. For instance if your in a high humidity area or very high elevation etc... The factory usually has a rated plug that is a good all around type in a normal climate but if the area you live in is one I stated with different then normal climate then you would change them out for the best one for your area you ride in the most. I found that out when I took my bike from here in Western Pennsylvania out to my daughters in Surprise Arizona for a couple winters. Had to change the plugs and the fuel mixture to get it to run correctly and efficiently in the dry desert landscape.;)
All that is true, but if a bike runs fine for 50k miles and then suddenly starts fouling plugs, simply changing the heat range of the plug won't identify the problem. I think that's what Mr Fair is saying.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry

runs fine but between 300 and 500 miles, idles poorly, hard to start, backfires, wont start, all in that order in a matter of days.
I change the park plugs and the whole cycle starts over again, third time now.
I replaced the plugs again this morning, runs like new.
Fully stock, no mods, 51000 Miles

·
Banned
179 Posts
Let me ask you if you get your fuel at the same place every time or do you buy it at different stations? If you stay at one place ask them if they happened to get a new supplier for their fuel they sell you. It could be bad fuel doing it. Also If you find the fuel to be good then I would try a set of different injectors or it could also be the coils are bad not firing the plugs correctly. Just a few things to try but nothing set in stone to throw off everyone into a tizzy over my thoughts. If it was my bike and I started having this happen I would first change the plugs and purchase fuel from a different station to see if the new fuel keeps the plugs good. If they still foul with new fuel from a different place then I would try different injectors. If that does not work then I would try new coils. It has to be those in some order to just start doing this all of a sudden. It also might be the charging system not sending enough current to the coils for them to fire the plugs at a hot enough setting causing it too. Like running a 115 volt light bulb in your home on 80 volts. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Let me ask you if you get your fuel at the same place every time or do you buy it at different stations? If you stay at one place ask them if they happened to get a new supplier for their fuel they sell you. It could be bad fuel doing it. Also If you find the fuel to be good then I would try a set of different injectors or it could also be the coils are bad not firing the plugs correctly. Just a few things to try but nothing set in stone to throw off everyone into a tizzy over my thoughts. If it was my bike and I started having this happen I would first change the plugs and purchase fuel from a different station to see if the new fuel keeps the plugs good. If they still foul with new fuel from a different place then I would try different injectors. If that does not work then I would try new coils. It has to be those in some order to just start doing this all of a sudden. It also might be the charging system not sending enough current to the coils for them to fire the plugs at a hot enough setting causing it too. Like running a 115 volt light bulb in your home on 80 volts. Just a thought.

You must have deep pockets. I thinks I'd follow a troubleshooting procedure before I started just buying parts for it and hoping it fixes it. :D

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
There is a thread a dozen or so threads below this one (at this moment) that is titled
"2004 Vulcan 1500 Nomad fouls plugs". Take a look at that and then post back with your thoughts.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. An altitude change requires a mixture change, not a spark plug change. FI should not be bothered by this.
2. I fail to see how humidity has anything to do with carbon fouling plugs. Humidity changes on a daily basis and has no effect on plugs.
3. Throwing parts at a problem never fixes the bike and always empties your wallet.
4. Sometimes a hotter plug can help an old tired engine from oil fouling a plug, but again, that is just a cover up of the underlying problem.

·
Registered
198 Posts
sfair, you are so right. When we have major elevations changes, 2,000 feet or so, we'll change jets in our carb, but that has nothing to do with plugs. Also the humidity will change the air density and we have our air density gauge that again alters jet changes. We've been to the same track and seen 50 feet below sea level and a cold dry night, and at the same track seen 5,500 feet on a 105* day with humidity..This thing was running fine and all of a sudden starts fouling plugs, need to follow the trouble shooting method that ma Kaw recommends and fix it...IMHO

·
Banned
179 Posts
Go to eBay injectors are only $50.00 and that includes the throttle body. The coils are there for $35.00 a set with the wires on them. Stators are about $50.00 to $75.00 so if that is bottoming out your pocket book then you shouldn't even be on a bike. Total for parts to check and change only a little over $125.00 so I don't see the comment that a guy has to have deep pockets. If your afraid to spend money on a fix then don't ask because there are no Magic Wands for free to repair these things.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Go to eBay injectors are only $50.00 and that includes the throttle body. The coils are there for $35.00 a set with the wires on them. Stators are about $50.00 to $75.00 so if that is bottoming out your pocket book then you shouldn't even be on a bike. Total for parts to check and change only a little over $125.00 so I don't see the comment that a guy has to have deep pockets. If your afraid to spend money on a fix then don't ask because there are no Magic Wands for free to repair these things.
Oh, you're back already? :D

Do you have reading comprehension issues? No one said don't spend any money. We said throwing new parts at a problem when you don't know what it is is foolish advice. Why would you spend a dime until you knew what the problem is? Sheesh. Talk about "shade tree mechanic."

·
Registered
260 Posts
I found a good read that talks about adjusting the throttle position sensor to lean or richen the bike. http://www.gadgetjq.com/tps_adjust.htm. Not suggesting you adjust that, but I found this part interesting. "The ECU uses input from several sensors to determine the amount of air entering the engine, including water temperature, atmospheric pressure, intake air pressure, RPM, intake air temperature, and throttle position. Since this DFI system does not have a knock sensor or oxygen sensor there is no feedback to tell the ECU if the engine is actually receiving the correct air/fuel ratio at all times, it relies entirely on the factory-set programming." This is a very basic early FI system. Have you ever replaced your air filter?

·
Banned
179 Posts
Oh, you're back already? :D

Do you have reading comprehension issues? No one said don't spend any money. We said throwing new parts at a problem when you don't know what it is is foolish advice. Why would you spend a dime until you knew what the problem is? Sheesh. Talk about "shade tree mechanic."

So you just plan on standing there and looking at a bike then your going to know what to do to fix it. Most of the time it takes trying new parts to find a solution. It will not take much in a few new parts to find out if one is bad. I lean more towards the fuel being bad first. Anyone can get bad fuel even at the same station they use all the time. I think if it is in all pugs then it must be either the fuel is bad or the main CPU for the bike has a mapping problem. If all spark plugs are bad it should be easy to figure it out. Only a couple choices. I don't see both coils going bad or all the wires to the plugs at once. It has to be a problem that pertains to all plugs at once. either the Main CPU is whacked out or the charging system is not giving the CPU enough to work with for a good hot spark to burn right. Sometimes you have to get another part to see if the one on your bike went bad. I have no idea how you would test a CPU on the bike unless you have a bunch of equipment that will do all the tests on it. If it was my bike I would be trying at least the CPU or checking the charging system out as far as possible or get someone who does know how to test the main things correctly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts