Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2000 Kawasaki Nomad FI, It was my daily rider, I rode it through some heavy rainfall though, parked the bike and now it will not start. I have discovered there is no spark, I checked it with a spark plug tool, no spark at all. The fuel pump primes with every key turn, it is spraying fuel, the turning over from the start speeds up with throttle turn. Checking with a multimeter the gray wire from the ignition is giving 5.9v. I replaced the battery with a brand new battery, there’s no power going to either side of the coils. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
If you have already checked the 10 amp ignition fuse in the junction box, check the engine stop switch. The ignition coils are fed directly from this switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright thank you. I have checked the 10 amp fuse for the ignition, it is good. The engine stop switch appears to be functioning because when it is turned off the bike will not turn over, but will turn over with it on. I’m not at the bike currently but will be later tonight to check the switch in depth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also notable is the fact that all lights on the bike are working, after hitting the start button the headlight works both high and low beam. The neutral light works and brake lights. Fuel pump primes with every key turn meaning the ignition is working.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
The red w/blue that feeds the ignition coils comes directly from the start switch and jumps to the engine stop switch. Wire is sold red from those two switches to the connector plug. If you do not have 12vdc at the coils check the connector plug or look for a broken wire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 12v at the red wire on the kill switch, I only have 1vdc at the red and green wire at the coil, there is no red and blue wire at the coil, the red and blue wire does have 12vdc however. Anymore ideas because the more i check on this bike the more seems to check as good. I appreciate your help by the way!

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
If you do not have 12vdc at the ignition coils with the ignition switch on, then you have an open circuit. I would start by back probing at the connector plug. I believe it is located in the headlight bucket. Will have 4 wires in it, red w/blue, blue, red w/gray, red w/grn, red w/dark blue. These colors are different on the other side of the plug. Colors are as close as I can get them as my diagram is pictorial only. Check the red w/grn coming from the plug as this is the wire feeding the ignition coils. If you do not have 12vdc at this plug, you will need to trace the wire to the handlebar switches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright from the plug in the head light bucket I get around 1v from the red w/green. You’re sure this wire is supposed to have 12vdc running to it? Currently tracing that wire down now.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Yes, with the switch in the on position it feeds directly to the ignition coils from the start button & stop switch.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
If you disconnect that plug, on the side going to the switches there is a yellow w/red & solid red wire. with the ignition switch off, check for continuity between these wires and flip the stop switch to open the circuit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So that turned out to be the problem, thank you so much for your help! The yellow/red wire was pinched and partially broken. I can’t believe I didn’t find it at first, but the problem is solved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts