Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi to all,

Newbie here. Looking for advice... I pulled my carbs, cleaned them, re-installed them. Also changed oil/filter, put new gas in the tank, & new spark plugs. Bike had been sitting for almost three years. When I tried to start for first time:

1) Turned petcock to Prime (by the way, do I just leave it on Prime or turn it to on position after a certain amount of time?);

2) Turned key "ON" & turned "ON" kill switch;

3) Turned Choke to full;

4) Pressed ignition button;

5) But engine won't kick in... seems like it is wanting to but couldn't get it to turn over.

6) Tried pressing ignition while turning throttle, but still the same.

7) And now I drained the battery, so waiting to recharge it to try again.

Until then, what am I doing wrong (I am sure many things. smile.)... Did I by chance flood the carbs? Is there a procedure of steps to follow when first starting a bike after cleaning carbs?

Help! And Thank you.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I frequently service EX500 carbs. Carbs sitting dormant for 3 years will require vigorous, aggressive procedures.

All cleaning/spraying with chemicals performed with the diaphragms and floats/needles removed ! Better yet, BARE carb bodies, ALL internals removed.

The use of strong compressed air to clear a clogged pilot system is mandatory.

Did you remove the pilot jets, clear them and verify they are clear?

Did your remove the pilot screws?

With both pilot jets and screws (mind the spring, washer and tiny oring) removed, spray carb cleaner in both those openings, AND the pilot air correction jet in the intake bell......blow compressed air between and back and forth these openings (which comprise the bulk of the pilot system)

Failure to do above will most assuredly demand multiple cleaning attempts, until done correctly. If available...the use of ultrasonic cleaners greatly enhance the micro-cleaning of tiny pilot passages.

There are methods to assure that circuits are, in fact, clear ON THE BENCH...thus saving frustrating, multiple carb pulls, installs and redo's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.... so i pulled the carbs off my 2000 vulcan 500 again.... and man was it all gunked up... I am guessing there was gunk in the fuel lines and after i cleaned the carbs and reinstalled them... when i tried starting it... the jets got clogged again with this gunk from the lines... anyways, i cleaned them again and blew out the lines.... and voila, i have been back on the road with the wind on my face and life smiling yet again.

thanks,
p.thomas

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Good on ya for finally getting it done and back on the road.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts