Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the starter solenoid relay on my wife's Vulcan 500 the problem was is that we get a one click when we try to start it after replacement of the battery and this new solenoid we're still at the same problem any help would be grateful

·
Registered
701 Posts
Load test the battery first.
Yes I know its a new one, please load test it.
Next with a meter measure the battery voltage with the key on and,
when you push the start button.
Post back results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well we push started the bike and rode it for a while shut it off and it starts again I don't know what to say we're going to let it sit for a couple hours and see if it starts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update we bought a new battery and charged it and still get a click. The bike sat for 5 minutes and wouldn't restart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is what worked for my '94 when it started clicking - not sure how much changed between '94 and '96.

Measure the resistance through the starter motor - if it's over 1 ohm or so (mine was 5) the starter is messed up, since a properly operating starter draws some number of 10s of amps; at 12v that means a resistance of well under 1ohm. Pull the starter, pull it apart, clean a bit between the copper parts in the commutator, see if any of the brush springs are not working and wiggle them a bit, etc., then put it together and see if the resistance is back down to a reasonable range.

Then do what I did and buy a rebuild kit ($20-$30) and budget an hour sometime to pull it off the bike all over again, because the brushes probably don't have much life left in them and the O-rings are probably shot. I'd suggest doing what I did and throw away the replacement bushings and bearings - I would bet an amateur job of replacing them is worse than leaving the old ones, while replacing the brush assembly and O-rings is quite easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the resistance is high, then the starter is messed up - pull it and take a look, per the directions above.

If it's not, then keep looking...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Before you pull the starter, make sure the contacts inside the starter button are clean. My bike would make a clicking sound when I tried to start it, as if the battery was dead. There is a small spring inside the assembly so be careful when you take it apart. Clean the contacts with some sandpaper and apply a small amount of dielectric grease to the contacts.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Have you checked the tightness of the battery post adapters? If not there is a 'sticky' at the top of this form telling about them and how to check/tighten them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts