Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here.

I'm in need of a little advice and assistance for my 2000 Vulcan VN750. A couple of years ago my best friend passed away, and he wanted me to have his Kawasaki Vulcan. It wasn't in all that good shape, but only had about 20K miles on it.....SO, I've been able to get it back to pretty good running order.

My problem right now is that I tended to originally ride it short distances for nostalgic reasons, but my wife and I would like to ride it over some greater distances (100 miles or so) than just to Denney's for breakfast.......BUT my wife finds the short, seat back woefully uncomfortable..... and says it kills her back. I can't seem to find a Sissy bar extension that will work with the current seat configuration.

I found a couple of posts from several years ago on this forum regarding a part # K53043-049A.......with several different websites. BUT.....after checking them all, and calling numerous Kawasaki dealers and Independent Kawasaki Parts providers......NO LUCK. That part doesn't seem to be available anywhere. I even checked Ebay to see if there were some used one's available. Nobody seems to have them and I can't really even tell if this particular Sissy Bar extension would even fit a 2000.

Can someone provide some guidance and/or alternatives how you can get around the Seat configuration with these Vulcans without completing buying a new seat and/or luggage rack, etc. Is there some kind of generic Sissy bar that would fit these......or possibly another alternative?

Right now I'm at a loss......and not sure if it's even possible using the current seat. Enclosing a couple of thumbnails of the current seat. AGAIN.......I see them in pictures using google, but nobody seems to have them anymore. ANY THOUGHTS???

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yeah, the "stock" back rest is a joke. I don't remember where I got mine from. Finding them brand new may be a bit of a hassle because the bike was discontinued some 12 years back so aftermarket support for it is dwindling to non-existent now.

Aside from e-bay, which I would continue to peruse through, I would suggest going to vn750.com and see if any of the fellas there can hook you up. From time to time someone is parting one out and may do you justice.

As for fitment, virtually ANY part for a Vn750 from ANY year will fit ANY other year. So no worries there. The bike had a 21 year production run virtually unchanged. If you've seen one, you've seen 'em all. Sometimes you see an ad stating that something only fits certain years. Nonsense. It'll fit.

If longer distance riding is going to be a recurring thing, I'd suggest either getting an aftermarket seat or finding a local establishment that can custom make one for you. The stock seat is notorious for being a pain in the butt/back after a while.

She's going to like the bike. So will you. I'm the original owner of my '06 and I have no designs to get something different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No kidding.....for something in such high demand it's amazing nobody has them. Anyway....thanks everyone for quick replies. Think I'm going to keep this forum 'HANDY' for sure.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Sure thing. Any questions you have on the 750 just write 'em out and I'll see what I can do for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate that Chris.......Not long ago I had a 'flooding' problem and found out that there were several issues with the Carb's that needed to be taken care of. AND the damn thing kept backfiring every time I let off the throttle. Apparently the carbs didn't like the K&N air filters that someone put on this long before I ever took possession of it. I finally took it to a shop here in Tucson, and they went thru the carbs with a fine tooth comb. Ultimately after replacing all the needle valves and floats.... they put some different jets in the carburetor and WHAT A DIFFERENCE. It runs GREAT..... BUT it cost me about $400 bux to have the work done. So while I really appreciated my buddy's 'GIFT' it's starting to become a pain in dealing with all the issues.

Now the major problem is a persistent......Tapping noise, which I have been told is the timing chain. AND.....from what I've been able to glean there are a number of 'fixes' for this including some manual tighteners. Ever heard of this before???

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You're talking about the timing chain tapping. Its a common thing with the 750.
The timing chain tapping is caused by the Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner (ACCT) springs giving out. They have a tendency to crap out anywhere from 10K miles or so. Mine started almost dead-on at 10K miles. While it is possible to rebuild the ACCT its really not worth the trouble.
The easiest way to fix it forever is with the Manual Cam Chain Tensioner (MCCT) that you referred to. I changed mine out to the MCCT (one for each cylinder) and the problem is done for good.
A place called TOC Manufacturing makes them. Quite easy to install, especially on the front cylinder. I recommend doing it. Yes, you CAN change just one cylinder, but its best to do both while you're at it. I said the front one is easier to do and that is only because in order to do the back one you need to temporarily remove the radiator overflow container. Still, not difficult to do, just a bit more. Most definitely something you can do at home.
There are all sorts of other "fixes" but all of them are variations of fiddling with the original ACCTs. To hell with that. MCCTs are permanent.
I can't remember if the MCCTs from TOC are $50 for the pair or $50 each.
Anyway, the timing chain tap IS NOT something that requires any internal work. It can be eliminated in your garage with normal metric tools.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I just checked and its $50 each. Go to : Home

As per TOC, if you decide to get the ACCT rebuild kit, they recommend you rebuild it every three years or so. Nope. Even with their more robust spring, its not worth that effort.

The MCCT is a better fix. You put it in, adjust it, and that's that until the end of time.

Should you decide to go the MCCT route, I can walk you through the procedure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just checked and its $50 each. Go to : Home

As per TOC, if you decide to get the ACCT rebuild kit, they recommend you rebuild it every three years or so. Nope. Even with their more robust spring, its not worth that effort.

The MCCT is a better fix. You put it in, adjust it, and that's that until the end of time.

Should you decide to go the MCCT route, I can walk you through the procedure.
Hi Chris and thanks for the reply....

Just got around to ordering the MCCT kit and it looks pretty straight forward.

One question I have however is ......how do you know when the adjusting screw is tight enough? Obviously you can listen for the tapping to go away......or perhaps it's a matter of feel. I just don't want to overtighten and potentially cause some damage.

Thanks......

Dick Boice

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well, that's a good question. I did mine by feel and when I thought it sounded better. It IS possible to adjust too much so its a bit of a trial and error thing.

Adjust it to where you think its ok and then ride the sucker. If it still makes too much tapping noise then adjust again.

I'm not sure that mine is 100% optimal but I've got 4K miles on it and it runs just fine.

When you first adjust it, make sure the bike is OFF and not running. So you'll do more by feel initially. Then run it and listen. Once you have the initial, first-time adjustment made if you should have to do it again the bike can be running.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts