Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike has 35k miles. I changed the oil and now both warning lights are on. They were fine before the oil change. I put Kawasaki brand 10w40 in, normally I use mobile, both regular. I can't imagine both sensors would go at the same time. Nothing else was done to the bike.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Two possible reasons come to mind. First, it's possible that you knocked the lead wire off the oil pressure sending unit when changing the filter. This would be easy to repair and not cause any problems. I think (but could be proven wrong) both the oil pressure and temperature warning light come on together and then it would be up to you to determine what's going on.
Second and more serious would be the lack of oil pressure. Did you prime the oil filter before installing it? By prime I mean filling it with oil before screwing in onto the engine. If not sometimes air can cause the oil pump to cavitate and not pick up the oil in the crankcase. If this is the case it is important not to run the engine until you can determine what's going on.
The best way to determine this is with an oil pressure gauge and only run the engine for about 10 to 15 seconds max to see if there is oil pressure.
If no oil pressure then I recommend removing the oil filter, filling it with oil, watch as the oil is absorbed in the filter and continue to add until it is full. Get an oil can or some other method to squirt oil into the oil pipe at the filter opening. It will never fill up completely but should get oil into the pump. Then screw the filter back on as quickly as possible, messy I know but can be cleaned up. Now make sure the oil level is on the high side of full in the inspection window. If so it's time to start the engine and check for oil pressure. It should be fine.
If not do not run the engine until this problem can be resolved. As always it's hard to repair something that is a half a continant away. Good luck and please post back.

·
Registered
245 Posts
have to agree with 98vulcan,
look for loose / bad connection wires.

i have a 99 classic. got it 5 years ago - it was left for dead on the side of my buddy's house - and put it back on the road 4 years ago. been riding ever since. i use that mobil one v-twin oil. two oil changes in 15,000 miles. I've never seen my oil and or water lights come on - just changing oil should never trigger the oil light to come on. check for electrical problems.

here is something else. two years ago i felt the engine "was running warm/hot". so i investigated. no water in the engine AND no warning light! i'm in Florida where we have two seasons, Hot & Hell. i pulled the tank and then pulled out the thermostat, changed the radiator cap to something i matched up at Autozone (think its for a nissan versa). flushed the cooling system and changed the plastic "sight guage tube". every time i check that tube i have nice clean antifreeze/coolant - point is i've NEVER seen the "hot" light on (or even the oil light).

i bet its electrical. i'm an electrician. And i can tell you many electrical problems can be solved with first making sure you have a good solid ground - always start by making sure your battery negative cable is "like new" clean and tight to the frame.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i checked all fluid levels and oil and coolant pressure, everything was good. all sensors were intact and properly functioning. i ran the bike for 5 minutes and the lights went out.
She falls down a well, her eyes go cross. She gets kicked by a mule. They go back to normal. I don't know.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
What was the oil pressure when you checked it and how did you check it? When you start your bike now how long does it take for the lights to go out?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
There was some air trapped in the system which causes the oil pressure light to come on.
When the oil light comes on, both over temp and oil light come on. That is how it is wired.
If the sensor wire fell off, the oil light would never come on.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
If the sensor wire fell off, the oil light would never come on.

Thanks sfair, that makes perfect sense. I knew that but didn't explain it properly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for this post... my oil light came on after fixing an oil leak at the left side cover. when looking at the oil through the inspection cover I could see it was aerated but didn't know why...I bench tested the sending unit and it was good so I was suspecting the oil light delay unit and couldn't find a bench test procedure for the unit anywhere... now I don't have to I will try bleeding at the filter...
Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts