Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I wanted a new 1700,cause of all new engine and so on, till I rode one,a new one too, whats up with the tranny, makes a heel of a lous clank when you up shift, never heard any cruise clank like that.
am 6'2'.230 lbs and the 1700 and the voyager seem to have ergos for a smaller guy, felt cramped up on it,had my feet shoved up under shifter and rear brake pedal trying to get some room,noticed that when I sat on them they felt cramped,
sat on a vtx honda and it felt good,sat on a vstar 1300 and it felt good, then I sat on a 2000 classic vulcan and really felt at home, done some research on it, and only thing I found out bad was everyone says 1st gear is to short and you have to short shift it,no one bitched about the massive power or the looks
just the tranny,dose it make one heel of a noise too ????,how about the 837.9 lbs ??, can you stop that beast ????

hell me out 2000 beast owners do I want one or am I asking the wrong guys to be objective ????????

·
Registered
60 Posts
I also am a large boy of 6'4" weigh in at 275 lbs and I also rode all the bikes you mentioned. I went with the Vulcan 2000 because it fit me without being cramped up. Got plenty of room, plenty of power, plenty of torque and all that but the only drawback I found was the stock seat sucked real bad. I bought new Ultimate Seats and now i would not trade for any other bike.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?pid=30855145&id=1499356258&ref=fbx_album

This is my scooter with the trailer in my front yard. I put Cobra 2 into 1 pipes on her and Ultimate seats, trailer hitch, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor and several other small mods.

Me Likey da bikey. I call her The Beast.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You're asking the wrong folks to be objective, me thinks.

It's a great bike.
I'm 5'9" and 180 or so.
Bike isn't too big for me to handle. It is a bear in slow parking lot manuevers, but you get used to it. Tranny is loud when shifting on this one because straight cut gears as opposed to angle cut. (Due to torque).

The 1700 was just coming out when I bought mine so, I didn't really consider it. I was looking at VTX1800's and Vulcan 1600's when I saw this beast in the dealership. AFter much consideration (Because of its size), I bought the V2K. Really glad I did. I don't think I would have been satisfied with the power of the 16. It's not bad, but I really really like that 141 ft-lbs of torque.

Gets as good if not better gas mileage as the 17 from what I've read. I get about 42mpg. Have gotten as high as 46 and as low as 38 (Pulling trailer).
Normally right around 41-42. That is 2 up 99% of the time.

The seat isn't the best, but I can live with it until I can afford a new one.

The only real complaint I have is it eats back tires. I have 13500 on mine and I'm about to buy my 3rd rear tire. Combination of the weight, riding 2 up, torque, pulling a trailer and curvy roads.

I have yet to see a bike I'd trade it in on.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
its a Bear of a Beast

hell me out 2000 beast owners do I want one or am I asking the wrong guys to be objective ????????
mr.2old2fast, you picked the right bike. this crowd is most objective, we tear these things apart and tell the good n bad. its not so big a bike. My feet just bear'ly touch the ground when I'm standing.. not even on the bike. I have no problemo tossing this bear around at any speed, slow or fast. as for all its nois..character, it wouldn't have no personality if it didn't bark, growl or snap at you now n then. Eurogears solved the off line low end and added 10% on the topside. I have multiple personality...er, I mean skooters and the redbear'n is my fav. you did good with this choice. out, ponch

·
Registered
139 Posts
I never rode the 1700 but I can give a thumbs up for the V2K. Yes the seat does suck, and the tranny is clunky sounding(sounds of it being strong), but when your in 4th gear going about 50 and you crack it really makes you :). I'm 5'11" and weigh 250lbs. Ride 2 up with the wifey a lot, the brakes are awesome and doesn't handle bad at all. Get avg. 41 mpg. FWIW, I like mine, real glad I got it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Now remember, you asked our opinion. I don't think you'll find a V2K rider who wants to give their bike up or trade it for another one.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I am 6'3 and ended up with the V2k after trying all the bikes you mention too. I love the bike....all nearly 900 lbs of it....
Ergos for larger bodies is there. Tranny is a bit noisier than smaller vulcans but you get used to it and soon dont hear it. Seat sucks big time... I went to Russell Daylong as soon as I could. For the first thousand miles or so I also thought I needed Eurogears but now I dont notice the 'short shift' out of first..it just became natural. I also no longer experience the "I need 6th gear" feeling either... I got used to it. I now routinely shift to 5th at 60 or so...and cruising on the highway is smooth with tons of remaining power to accelerate.
perfectly unbiased comments... ;)

Annie

I thought I wanted a new 1700,cause of all new engine and so on, till I rode one,a new one too, whats up with the tranny, makes a heel of a lous clank when you up shift, never heard any cruise clank like that.
am 6'2'.230 lbs and the 1700 and the voyager seem to have ergos for a smaller guy, felt cramped up on it,had my feet shoved up under shifter and rear brake pedal trying to get some room,noticed that when I sat on them they felt cramped,
sat on a vtx honda and it felt good,sat on a vstar 1300 and it felt good, then I sat on a 2000 classic vulcan and really felt at home, done some research on it, and only thing I found out bad was everyone says 1st gear is to short and you have to short shift it,no one bitched about the massive power or the looks
just the tranny,dose it make one heel of a noise too ????,how about the 837.9 lbs ??, can you stop that beast ????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2000 beast or not

thanks for all the good info and opinions,thats what I asked for.
found an 09 at a good price ,now all I need to do is go ride it

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
big bikes are like bad drugs... way too mucho fun

thanks for all the good info and opinions,thats what I asked for. found an 09 at a good price ,now all I need to do is go ride it
yeah, that's the ticket. go take that bear out for a spin. big bikes are like bad drugs. one ride and you'r hooked for life. there be no goin back to them wimpy 17's. can you say "hit me again"? out, ponch

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome to the ride grampa, you're gonna love it. The Beast makes a few noises but you just gotta ignore them and ride it like you own it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree, with everyone so far. Mine, at 2300 miles, is getting quieter and quieter. Either that or I'm growing immune to the noises. Shifting is loud but not to bad. I commute to work daily with mine at about 35 miles round trip. It sure is nice to have the power to keep yourself safe in rush hour traffic. I'm happy with my choice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
my 2 cents worth

Walk it around a while; find the tipping point and stay inside of it. Once it starts to go over ... it is a strain to stop. Other than that, I turn mine around in the garage to get it out when my wife has her car out but I have mine still parked. It takes a few turns but no problemo. I can finally do figure 8s in the street or just circles both ways at full clutch out and a wee bit of power. Since I am 6'4" I had to raise the handlebars some for the grab handles to clear my legs in maximum turns. I'll eventually get 2 inch risers and slope the bar back down again.

My heel is used to shift up with and that is way easier than using the toe. I stomp it, it clanks, we GO. I can drive real quiet, too if rpms are matched just right.

The seat that it comes with has been all right, 'till I read that it gets better with different ones. Yesterday I did over 360 miles with some pain but not bad enough to stop for. I forgot how to shift near the end of the ride as I'm in my first year of riding, that still happens a little. My rides are getting longer.

It is real nice to have all that power on the highway because of how fast everyone else is going. At 80 you can jump past anyone on the street and it doesn't slow much in acceleration at higher speeds. Take-offs are a thing of beauty. I had to get onto 99 and a pack of dump trucks were at the on ramp and all of them were going at a high speed. One moved over to allow me to enter. Thanks, but not needed. I zoomed it and passed the lot. Sorry, but that is why I bought it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have both ! V2K = ZO6 Corvette - 1700 = Cadillac ................

·
Registered
198 Posts
Another alternative to doing the Euro gears would be to swap out the stock 72 tooth rear wheel pulley with a 70 tooth aftermarket pulley. It also looks a whole lot better than the stock one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts