Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Vulcan Classic LT 2000 with about 3500 miles on it. About a thousand miles back the rear wheel area started making a very loud "chirping" noise (for lack of a more discriptive word). Dealer adjusted the drive belt tension and the noise went away...for a couple of hundred miles. Took it back and the dealer now thinks it may be a bad bearing in the rear axle. Anyone one else experienced this or have any input?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i own 06 vn2000 with 200 miles, the belt has been making noise since new,had two dealerships adjust tension,and still making noise.have you fixed your problem yet,let me now the outcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved

Just a quick follow up for anyone interested. I told the dealer that it usually took about twenty minutes/miles of riding before I started noticing the noise. They put it on the dyno at highway speed in fifth gear and after the rear axle warmed up, it started singing to them. They took it apart and found a flat spotted wheel bearing. They changed it out for me. The Mrs. and I went on a five hour jaunt this weekend and it ran great, not a peep.
The dealer said it was a fluke...something they had never seen or heard of before on this bike. Hopefully that is the case and I won't have to deal with that again. Ride safe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Put 15,000 kms on my 2006 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT last year and developed the chirp everyone is talking about at about 6000 kms on my trip through 9 states in the US. The chirp developed in a matter of about 100 kms not a slow buildup. I had read about this problem before my trip and reviewed many solutions by others which didn't seem to fix permanently, everything from spray the belts with WD40, waxing the belt to new pulleys and belt position on the pulleys. Some seemed to think it was the intake problem and changing the intake would fix as the sound seems to come from the engine area and changes with speed and throttle position affect the chirp. With my background as a machinist/millwright, and because I was on a long trip schedule and the sound was loud and annoying, my experience in millwrighting told me it may be the belt tension on this type of belt and pulley system. I went down to the local NAPA store in Bend, OR and bought some MM wrenches, loosened the axle cross bolt and evenly adjusted the belt tensioning bolts until I felt some resistent on the adjuster bolts. Retightened all and tested, chirp was almost gone, redid the process with a little more tension and tested, the chirp was gone. I now have 17,500 kms on the bike and the chirp is just starting to come back slightly, time to retention the belt again. For me the chirp is the belt and proper tensioning is the answer, the dealer probably retentioned the belt and that eliminated the chirp, as a bad bearing should not cause the belt to chirp. I believe the 2004 and 2005 models had issues with pulley and rear wheel bearings because of cheap none sealed and only shielded bearings This was supposedly resolved in the 2006 and up versions, I haven't checked mine as there is no clicking noise YET at the rear wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Belt noise??

I've got 4000 miles on my '07 900LT now and the noise is still there......the belt is singing tight....has anyone been told the 'official belt tension spec'?
I've read somewhere on here that the book states 2.5mm deflection, when it should read 25mm...quite a difference, but makes more sense....maybe a call to the belt manufacturer might help, also. I can't believe this problem has not been fixed.
Have a good ride ! ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Put some lithium grease on the OUTSIDE EDGE of the belt. Small amount only and only on the outside edge of the belt. I do this on my 07 2000 classic LT and it solves the problem for about 1000 miles. I put this on when I use the lift to wash the bike. Easier with a lift. Doesn't take much to do the job. Just use one finger to spread.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes it is annoying. I had a 2004 and had the same problem. The dealer told me to put belt lube on it if I couldn't put up with it. Instead, I sold it. Yes, you would think Kawasaki would have resolved the problem by now. I noticed mine at mostly slow speeds.

George

1 - 7 of 7 Posts