Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would throw this out there. I bought a new 2009 Vulcan 2000 classic. Since day one When you approach 70 MPH there is a noise. Sounds like a metallic noise (rattle with high pitched squeak). As soon as you go past 70 it goes away. The noise starts to come in about 68 MPH in high gear the loudest at 70 then nothing after that. I've been all over this bike checking tightness of everything and for any rub marks, I have found no problems.. I don't know if this is normal for these or not. Everything on it is stock. The bike runs fine. I would say you hear it the loudest if you lean over the fuel tank while driving at 70. I was thinking injector noise maybe????. Also anyone have stupid reading from the fuel gauge? I fill my bike up as the recommend, so as not to get fuel in the evap tube. Man you take off and the thing drops 1/4 tank. Then 30 miles goes another 1/4 tank. I have already had the dealer replace the sending unit. That didn't help. The only way to get accurate reading is to fill fuel to bottom of fill neck with bike on its side stand. But then when it is upright, fuel goes up about a half inch in fuel neck, contacting vapor steel line. Is this going to be a problemfilling this way? Kawa dealer told me to go ahead and do it. They didn't think it would hurt it. But that is coming from a bunch of 18 year old kids. I would love any info on these topics please.

Jim

·
Registered
240 Posts
I know of several owners of the V2K that have the same "chirping" sound . My '06 V2K LT does it at that exact speed (68 mph to 72 mph) before it goes away. No one seems to agree on the exact cause, but most think it's the fuel injectors causing it. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but can be annoying. Since I've added the Cobra exhaust, I can't hear it as much (wonder why???). As for the gas fill, you're supposed to fill the tank with the bike resting on the side stand, filling to the bottom of the neck. I've filled it higher, but only if I'm going to ride for a few hours. The fuel gauge that Kawi uses isn't very accurate on any of their bikes. Even the "low fuel light" indicator isn't too reliable with some bikes. I always reset my trip odometer and know exactly when it's time for fuel. If I wait for the reserve light, I generally have 1.2 to 1.4 gallons of fuel left in the tank. Overall, I'm real pleased with my bike. There's no substitute for torque and HP! How 'bout a few pix of your scoot?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. This is my first Kawi owned, I owned Honda's before. I agree the bike is great for power and comfort. I just can't understand why they would turn something out with an innacurate fuel gauge, especially if it has been an issue for a while. Also that annoying chirping sound, has to go. That tank fill procedure they tell you in the owners manual....maybe they need to re-think that. Or even raise that vapor line in the fill neck to come up higher and more staight up. I think I'll just run her and see what happens since this all seems to be common for these, from what I have been reading. Hey if I blow it up, I still have the six year warranty. As an ex 18 year mechanic, I always turned my stuff out so it would never come back. I just hate wasting time at a dealership for them to throw parts in it when it doesn't need them. It is a waste of my time and I would rather be riding it. Plus they never seem to know how to pinpoint things, they just replace a part. Me I always want to know why something failed. If it isn't broke don't fix it right? Funny but all my complaints to them all I get in response is " we haven't heard anything like that" or "you are the first one to complain about that problem". Gee I guess I'm just too picky then.......or maybe just want things to work the right way ;-). Thanks again for the info and yes I will have to get some bike pics up here of my 2009 classic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There's a sticky on the V900 section that deals with a fix for the quirky fuel gauge. It is as simple as putting a 260 ohm 1/2 watt resistor in the fuel gauge wire. I know you big guys don't want to look at the section for the "toy" bikes (lol) but it might be worth checking out if it will work on the 2K.:D:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too am experiencing fuel gauge trouble. Mine reads full all the time, but the reserve light does come on with about 1 gal. left. I suspect a sticky fuel sender float. The service manual has the resistance specs at the connection under the left cover. Going to check those also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The high pitched whine at speed is caused by the Harmonic Balancer according to Kawasaki. I have an 04 VN2000 with the same problem. Kawasaki says to ignore it

·
Registered
11 Posts
The high pitched squeaking noise is the belt on the pulleys. Put a small amount of lithium grease ONLY on the outside of the belt and see if that works. I have to do this about every 2000mi down here in Georgia. Solves the problem. Remember, ONLY the outside edge of the belt. Easier if you have a lift to get the rear wheel off the ground then access the belt near the tension window.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts