Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have questions about putting a 200 or 230 tire on my custom se. I would like to lower the rear and put a wide tire on,question is for the 200 or 230 what do you need? Can you put the 230 on the stock wheel? And,anything else needed beside trimming the belt guard? Pics would be great. Thanks in advance. Brad

·
Registered
208 Posts
The 230 tire has actually been discused pretty recently. Just do a quick search or just look through the recent posts. A couple other members are doing this mod now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can do the 200 without any mods. I have my custom lowered with a metzler 200 on the back. Plenty of clearance and looks and handles great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Saabguy. I saw on one of the threads about a wide tire kit and didn't see anything else about it. What it entails or who makes them. Do you have a pic of yours with the 200 on it?

·
Registered
193 Posts
200 Metz on Custom

I've been looking at doing the "Metz mod" on my 900 Custom, a 200 on the rear and a 90/90 on the front , but found out something while chasing prices.... The 90/90 is OK, but the 200 Metz is not available here in Australia - bummer :mad: !!!

I was suspicious when it wasn't listed on the Metz Oz website, but was shown on the US Metz website. I guess importing from CruiserCustomising or similar is an option, but freight costs could be prohibitive.

Haver any other Aussie riders on this forum found this out and are there any other brands available in Oz in the 200 size?? Local retailers in Sydney haven't been much help either so far.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i went with pirelli night dragons on my custom 200 out back and the 90 up front ....dont know if they sell pirreili in aussie... but you could give it a try

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the reply Ronc09, Pirelli Night Dragons are available here, but same problem - not in those sizes, so importing looks to be the way I'll have to go.
BTW, any reason for going Pirelli rather than Metz?? Does the 90/21 fit OK with the Custom's front guard?

·
Registered
306 Posts
the dragons fit great and i have been very pleased with them so far. ive got about 5000 miles on them and they show little signs of wear

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
the dragons fit great and i have been very pleased with them so far. ive got about 5000 miles on them and they show little signs of wear
WOW, Thats 5000 miles, it still has its pubes (little hairs), mine was gone from the stock tyre in less than 200kms (150 miles)

PS straighten your fender brackets up ;-)

·
Registered
306 Posts
actually that was a pic from when i first had them installed, just posted them in case anyone was wondering what they looked like and to show that it did fit the front fender...allbeit close it does fit i have had a few small stones get stick in the tread and but a small scratch inside the fender. oh and after 5000 miles the tires does look look just about as good minus the pubes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
oh and as far as the fender looking off center its an illusion created by theangle of the pic...i have had this arguement on another thread trust me in person it looks straight ...

·
Registered
193 Posts
ronc09, how did you find the 200 rear against the stock 180 for reducing rpms to reduce attempts to shift for that mythical sixth gear (which seems to be the other hot topic on this forum)?? Should have fixed any speedo error too I guess

·
Registered
306 Posts
speedo is right on now. it does bring the rpms down a bit but youll still go forthat 6th gear every now and then, but not as often

·
Registered
953 Posts
speedo is right on now. it does bring the rpms down a bit but youll still go forthat 6th gear every now and then, but not as often
please tell me where you got your sidemounted license plate? And on a side note i am a proud graduate of NFA, small world huh?

·
Registered
306 Posts
the side mount plate is from kyrukan you have to buy the mount for it that atches the size of the tubing for the frame ....if memory serves it was 1.25 inch...but im not positive......ahh i grew up in Norwich so yes very small world indeed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
200 tyre

Hi All thought it was important to post this thread and I do understand its been discussed alot.

I have lowered my bike 2" and decided to fit an avon 200 on the rim. the results are

handles great just a bit more effort needed to chuck it round corners
had to remove lower belt guard as tyre ever so slightly rubbing on outside wall
when i removed seat for another job i found the tyre had rubbed through the inner mudguard yet when you look at the tyre from the outside there is a very small gap between the 2 so i can only assume the tyre swells when hot and hence the rubbing but it had rubbed right through but no damage to tyre.

do not understand how others have had no trouble unless they used the metz tyre and its slightly different in overall size.

safe riding

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have Avons on front and rear. 90/90-21, and 170/80-15 on the rear. I had to make a riser bracket for the front fender when I added the 90/90. Just getting it home rubbed on the fron of the fender. I just raised the fender up about 3/4", painted the new bracket black, and it looks stock.

From what I can gather, the Avon tires run slightly taller then the Metz's do. When this tire wears out, I'm going to at least a 200. then maybe onto the 230 when I get the rear pulley (I have the front pulley on now). Gotta sell the front pulley to help pay for the rear pulley. I put about 12-15000 miles a year on my bike, so I'll be putting the 200 on around october of this year. Hopefully it helps me reduce the urge to shift up!! :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been looking at doing the "Metz mod" on my 900 Custom, a 200 on the rear and a 90/90 on the front , but found out something while chasing prices.... The 90/90 is OK, but the 200 Metz is not available here in Australia - bummer :mad: !!!

I was suspicious when it wasn't listed on the Metz Oz website, but was shown on the US Metz website. I guess importing from CruiserCustomising or similar is an option, but freight costs could be prohibitive.

Haver any other Aussie riders on this forum found this out and are there any other brands available in Oz in the 200 size?? Local retailers in Sydney haven't been much help either so far.
Hello fellow Oz rider. You can get Avon 200's from MCAS at Auburn. I'm about to order one when my lowering kit comes from the U.S. Also getting the Metz 90/90 front.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts