Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine this may have been addressed before, but I have the worst luck doing searches. Anyway, I'm going to be replacing my tires here, shortly and I'd like to mount a 200-series rear. My question is, from those of you with the 200 tires, how will this affect the bike's handling? With the stock size, it handles very well. It's light and nimble and doesn't have that heavy feeling at parking lot speeds. Will the 200 rear have any negative effect on the handling? I want the 200 for the speedo correction as well as giving the bike a more relaxed feel at higher speeds. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
696 Posts
FWIW, I only noticed improved handling with the 200, but that was compared to the stock tires, which I didn't like at all. So, that may not be a valid reference point for you. I have the Pirelli Night Dragon and think that it is a great tire. I've also heard very good things about the Avon Cobra series from people that I trust.

The 200 won't knock down the revs at high speeds all that much, if you don't also put on a pulley. The speedo correction is kind of weird. It's pretty much dead on, at the lower speeds, but starts losing ground, maybe a couple MPH, as you hit about 60 or so.

hope that helps

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FWIW, I only noticed improved handling with the 200, but that was compared to the stock tires, which I didn't like at all. So, that may not be a valid reference point for you. I have the Pirelli Night Dragon and think that it is a great tire. I've also heard very good things about the Avon Cobra series from people that I trust.

The 200 won't knock down the revs at high speeds all that much, if you don't also put on a pulley. The speedo correction is kind of weird. It's pretty much dead on, at the lower speeds, but starts losing ground, maybe a couple MPH, as you hit about 60 or so.

hope that helps
It does. Thanks. My plan is to put Metzeler's on. I put Metz's on my wife's 900LT and they transformed its handling compared to the OEM stock tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Definitely put on the 200! Handling will still be good, and you will definitely like the change to the larger tire both appearance wise and rev reduction. Adding a pulley will also help but the 200 is a really good first step. It would have to be a rear pulley though as if you go with the 200 tire the front pulley will pull the tire too far forward to fit. Other drawbacs are that they ain't cheap, also, if you want white walls, you can't get them in a 200, at least from Metzeler. Then you need to go with a 170-80. Almost as big a tire circumference wise, but a little narrower. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I run the metz 200 on my classic and the pirelli 200 on my custom, both are as good as each other,the 200 does not change the handling dramatically and after a good ride you will not notice the difference. What you will notice is the improved grip, a nicer bike to ride around town using the first 3 gears, increased mileage on the tires, less rpm's on the highway and a speedo that is accurate. While they are more expensive than the stocker, the extra $$'s is well worth it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I run the metz 200 on my classic and the pirelli 200 on my custom, both are as good as each other,the 200 does not change the handling dramatically and after a good ride you will not notice the difference. What you will notice is the improved grip, a nicer bike to ride around town using the first 3 gears, increased mileage on the tires, less rpm's on the highway and a speedo that is accurate. While they are more expensive than the stocker, the extra $$'s is well worth it.
That is what I thought. Thanks for the info, guys.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I ran an ME880 200/70-15 for about 4,000 miles. I had to lock up the rear to avoid being side-splattered and it ripped a "v" shaped notch into the center of the contact patch and a couple of rips inside the tread grooves parallel to the "v" notch. Was not warranteed because "brake locking" voids Metzeler's replacement policy.

I replaced with an ME880 170/80. (it's about $90 cheaper) The tire diameter is close to the 200, so you get almost the same RPM & speedo fix. On the PLUS side for the 170/80, you get a little more lean in the corners. PLUS side for the 200/70 is the awesome look of the fat tire.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen (using the term lightly) I am in a bit of a time crunch due to packing up all our household stuff to ship to Alaska and wasn't able to wait for the 200 rear to be shipped in. So I opted for a 180. It'll do until next time. I was really looking forward to it. Got the rear for $169.00 and the front for $119.00. Not bad. They'll get mounted tomorrow. Then the bikes get put in the shipping container. No time for riding. I'm as busy as a one legged man at a kicking contest.

·
Registered
84 Posts
tire size

I too have been considering a 200 rear tire when it comes time to change. I have been watching different threads about it and find it interesting that some say that they do see a noticeable reduction in the rpm's and the speedo correction while a few say not so much. I find the tire change much more desirable compared to the cost of a pulley change. So, I am just looking for a more comfortable feel at the 60mph range and a 4mph speedo correction. Will the tire do it? Thanks in advance for the information.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I ran a 200 at the moment but going bald and I'm thinking of going with a 170/80 or even back to 180/70 in the next few weeks. I love the look of the 200 but like others I have experienced a wobble when making a turn making you believe you're low on air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts