Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to the 90/90/21 & 200/70/15 combo with Metzler. how is the custom at handling the curves for aggressive riding? solo and 2 up?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I wouldn't consider myself an aggressive rider, but I can tell you that after changing to the METZ 200/70-15 and the 90/90-21 my custom feels more planted and it doesn't seem to be upset by cracks and tar snakes as much.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
My '07 Custom has had the original Dunnys, 90/90 Front Metz, 180/70 Rear Metz and now 80/90 Front Pirelli. I've dragged pegs through 50 -60 mph turns on all my configs and never felt out of control or squirrelly. I don't consider myself aggressive, but my pegs scrape quite often. Lean in any harder and I'd leave parts behind. I'd say the fastest I dragged on was maybe 85. Don't remember what tires I was riding at the time, but again, steady as a rock.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the Avon Venom 90/90 front and 200/70 rear, and they definitely make the bike feel more planted when riding more aggresively. I used to race sportbikes, and even though I don't ride as aggressive as I used to, I think it was a great move to help the feel of the bike

·
Registered
273 Posts
please dont take this the wrong way, but if you like riding the corners fast and aggressively, you might want to think about getting a sport bike. these bikes can be pushed to the limits like that, but they dont do it safely, no matter what tires you use. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input guys.
no offense taken shacrawhi34
I was talking about every now & then you get that WILD HAIR and just want to push it a little harder. and wanted real opinions from these types of people. not the folks that are more concerned about the comfort of the ride that never push it. just want to know that I can push it and not leave a little of the backside on the asphalt. or worse mess up my little hottie's backside

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm running the 200 metzler on my custom and I've felt much more able to push the envelope since the change. My 180 always left me feeling like I was going to lose it, never have that feeling with the 200.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Not that I've tried a 200 but I'd have thought the wider tyre would be harder to lay over? Better in a straight line but less manouverable?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Not that I've tried a 200 but I'd have thought the wider tyre would be harder to lay over? Better in a straight line but less manouverable?
I know physics says it should but the change is small enough to be negligible. The better quality of tires actually overcomes any perceived "Wider tires handle worse" issues and improves the handling if you ask me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I know physics says it should but the change is small enough to be negligible. The better quality of tires actually overcomes any perceived "Wider tires handle worse" issues and improves the handling if you ask me.
+1 on the impact of the tire quality.

When one changes from the 180 stock Dunlop to say the 200 Metzler or Avon, the tire size is only one of the factors that changed the behavior and feel. I would bet you that the brand and the specific tire model makes likely a bigger difference.

I myself switched from the factory stock to the Bridgestone Exedra Max (same size as the stock) and it indeed feels like a different bike. No more snakes sensitivity, it holds up very wel... I just love the tire.

I bet if I went for the 200 size of the Bridgestone, I would have said "Oh, the bigger tire makes a lot of difference!" :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
That was something everyone told me to look out for when I switched. The 180 always made me feel like I was going to topple over because it wasn't wide enough. The 200 feels just right, I have no complaints about handling ability, I wish they had done it stock.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
well I have the bigger tires on mine, last owner changed them out, when I was younger with my LTD Kaw I would have the pegs in the pavement all the time, But as I get older I kinda of like the putt putting around feel , every once in a while I will gut her on the corners and she holds fine. I have the Metzler tires

1 - 13 of 13 Posts