Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm over 500 mi and stopped at the dealer to schedule my 600 mi service. One of the owners and the mechanic told me not to worry about it until 1200 mi. I told them I wanted to make sure I didn't void the warranty and they assured me all was fine. They told me they could take my money now for something I don't need but they didn't operate that way. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think you should find another dealer! You want to get that break-in oil out of there. I sure wouldn't want all those metal chips floating around in my motor for another 600 miles!

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
In my case, I didn't get the first service until 1000 miles. The oil screen was clean as a whistle. Personally, I don't see the harm in going a bit over 600 before the first service. However, I've read of owners who actually changed their oil at THIRTY MILES and again at 300 miles. IMO that's going just a bit overboard. I can't picture a stealer turning down some bucks for a service that supposed to be performed via the manual. I agree you should call around.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I agree that you do want to get the 1st check up at somewhere around 600 miles. Give or take a couple hundred miles. When they changed my oil there were no chips or anything in the screen, but the oil had a silvery sheen to it. I am sure the filter was full of metal powder. As for what else they claim to do at that check up, I can't say how much good it did. But it does look better for your records if you have had the check up on time at a Kawasaki service center. Then if the engine does happen to go south in the first year or so, the big K lawyers can't say you neglected your machine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'll do ya one better, the service manager should know what that "mechanic" told you. If it was the service manager who said it in the first place, then I'd tell the owner why I'll never trust their business again. If it was MY business and some customer came and told me that, I'd be highly upset and I'd do my best to assure that never happened again.

600 miles is what the manual says and, whether they personally agree or not, they are required to advise you to do it. If you do take it back to them for the service, I'll bet they won't do half of what's required in the manual. You'll pay all that money and all they'll do is change your oil.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When I took mine in, the service manager told me it would be about $260.00 for the service. I asked him what I got for that and he explained that they did a complete once-over on the whole bike, including re-torqueing(?) all exposed nuts and bolts, such as axles, steering heads, handle bars, suspension and other critical areas. Personally, I'd stick to what the manual says. It's not just an oil change.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you do take it back to them for the service, I'll bet they won't do half of what's required in the manual. You'll pay all that money and all they'll do is change your oil.
When I took mine in, the service manager told me it would be about $260.00 for the service. I asked him what I got for that and he explained that they did a complete once-over on the whole bike, including re-torqueing(?) all exposed nuts and bolts, such as axles, steering heads, handle bars, suspension and other critical areas. Personally, I'd stick to what the manual says. It's not just an oil change.
rpg was saying that if you take it in chances are they'll change the oil and look at the bolts just to make sure they're not falling out... not the recommended re-torquing of all exposed bolts. I'm a DIY guy, so I know it's done right in the first place. I despise quicky lubes (even for my cage) and even the dealer (I worked the oil pit at one) for stuff like that- the faster we could get the customer out, the better. This meant neglecting some chassis lube points, the occasional way overtightened oil filter I could not get loose, and the guys up top would neglect to check air filters "because they're hard to check" and also tilt the dipstick if oil was a little low to make it look just right when they showed the customer.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You could be right about the quick lube places; I don't have much experience with them. And I don't trust the salesman at dealerships, either. But I have to believe that the service department does a proper job without cutting corners. After all, they do want you to come back and buy the new model from them, don't they? And who's going to do that if the front wheel came off after the service was supposedly done? I know word would spread pretty quick amongst the bike crowd in my town if they were not doing a proper job.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You could be right about the quick lube places; I don't have much experience with them. And I don't trust the salesman at dealerships, either. But I have to believe that the service department does a proper job without cutting corners. After all, they do want you to come back and buy the new model from them, don't they? And who's going to do that if the front wheel came off after the service was supposedly done? I know word would spread pretty quick amongst the bike crowd in my town if they were not doing a proper job.
I think they do a pretty good job, I doubt they take their time to retorque everything to spec, prolly just make sure nothing's coming loose, and if anything has, retorque that one fastener to spec. The quicky lube, and dealer quickie lube stuff applies to cages.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'll tell you when I started doing my own work. I rode up to the dealership where I bought the bike (A Suzuki I used to have) to get an appointment for my 3500-mile service. They were really backed up and clearly frustrated with all the work. When I said I was thinking of trying it myself since it was gonna be so long before they could get to me, he said:

"Eh, you don't have to do all that $%*@ in the manual. Nobody does that. Just change the oil and you'll be fine."

It was at that moment I realized that I was paying them nearly $300 a pop to probably just change my oil!!! I ordered the service manual that day and now I only go into the shop when I'm getting new tires put on. It will be a LONG time (maybe ever) before I trust someone else to work on my bikes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts