Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on carburetor removal and stock intake removal and change to custom intake. General info, a good video, or service manual download would be great. I have removed everything down to the throttle and manual choke cable and just needed some advice. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I did a Baron's Big Air kit on mine.

-Remove the speedo housing
-Shut off petcock and remove fuel hose from petcock
-Remove the gas tank
-Remove the dog bowls on each side and the backing plates.
-I cut my crossover tube out and threw it away.
-Release the small Allen screw at the bottom of the float bowl and drain the fuel from it.
-Remove the clamp holding the carb to the intake.
-Remove the screw holding the throttle cable into the carb body. If you tip the carb up, you can get to it enough to remove the float bowl without taking it all the way out. But since it's a 99, you probably want to take the carb apart and give it a thorough clean and replace the rubber bits. Inspect the slide and accelerator pump diaphragms. Be careful of the float that you don't bend the tangs holding it in place.
-You might have to remove the lead plug covering the pilot adjustment screw.
-Be adviced that small changes ina carb can make a big difference. Contrary to what some guys will tell you, there is no one size fits all. It all depends on the bike itself, the way you ride, where you live, altitude and humidity and all the rest of it. I invested in one of those E-Z Just screws for the pilot screw. That way I can adjust it when I'm riding.
-Also be advised different manufacturers of jets usee different numbers for the same jet, so a stock Keihin jet in my bike was 138. The equivalent number in a Dynojet is 128 and a Mikunis 120. I went up to a Dynojet 140, which is a Keihin 152 and it works fine now, but it was a lot of trial and error. Unfortunately, there is no other way to do it with a carbed bike that I know of- I've had my carb off probably three dozen times. I also bumped the pilot jet from a 42 to a 45. But now it gets 45 MPG and runs like a champ while sounding decent.

You might want to inspect the cam chain tensioners while you have it apart. How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Newb to carb building -1997 Vulcan 1500 Classic

Hey Patrick,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us all buddy.
I have a 1997 1500 Classic
I believe I have a stock jet of 138

Rebuild carb, found some rubber issues and replaced.
Very responsive throttle in the garage, under load, cannot get more than a 1/8 - 1/4 twist without sputter and no power. Pipes very hot indicating to lean a mix.
I'm 3 1/2 turns out on the fuel adjustment.

Saw your info below.
I'm in Dallas at 430 feet sea level
Considering the same jet you put in (Dynojet 140) and Pilot to a 45.
Looking at a different air intake than yours but airflow should be close to the same.

What city do you live in so I can check altitude? Or is that critical?
Newbe to carb building.

I did a Baron's Big Air kit on mine.

-Remove the speedo housing
-Shut off petcock and remove fuel hose from petcock
-Remove the gas tank
-Remove the dog bowls on each side and the backing plates.
-I cut my crossover tube out and threw it away.
-Release the small Allen screw at the bottom of the float bowl and drain the fuel from it.
-Remove the clamp holding the carb to the intake.
-Remove the screw holding the throttle cable into the carb body. If you tip the carb up, you can get to it enough to remove the float bowl without taking it all the way out. But since it's a 99, you probably want to take the carb apart and give it a thorough clean and replace the rubber bits. Inspect the slide and accelerator pump diaphragms. Be careful of the float that you don't bend the tangs holding it in place.
-You might have to remove the lead plug covering the pilot adjustment screw.
-Be adviced that small changes ina carb can make a big difference. Contrary to what some guys will tell you, there is no one size fits all. It all depends on the bike itself, the way you ride, where you live, altitude and humidity and all the rest of it. I invested in one of those E-Z Just screws for the pilot screw. That way I can adjust it when I'm riding.
-Also be advised different manufacturers of jets usee different numbers for the same jet, so a stock Keihin jet in my bike was 138. The equivalent number in a Dynojet is 128 and a Mikunis 120. I went up to a Dynojet 140, which is a Keihin 152 and it works fine now, but it was a lot of trial and error. Unfortunately, there is no other way to do it with a carbed bike that I know of- I've had my carb off probably three dozen times. I also bumped the pilot jet from a 42 to a 45. But now it gets 45 MPG and runs like a champ while sounding decent.

You might want to inspect the cam chain tensioners while you have it apart. How many miles are on it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1999 Vulcan Nomad 1500cc carburetor removal - the journey continues

I have removed the carburetor, dog bowls, crossover tube, and coolant hoses. I am going to have my mechanic rebuild the carb and we will discuss the jetting and new intake. My concerns are what to do with the coolant hoses that connect down by the rear brake pedal and to the carb. Also will the new intake come with a mounting bracket that will use the original right side dog bowl bolt holes?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts