Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I last rode my vulcan 800 for any length of time in February of 2017.

Since then, it has sat unridden or started since about 2 or 3 months ago. I replaced the battery and the bike will start but it will only stay started with the choke all the way out.

I am assuming I need to drain all the fuel and put in some seafoam or berryman b12.

I have had a hard time locating exact videos \ tutorials on what exactly I need to do to drain all the fuel... Wouldnt I need to get the fuel out of the carbs too ?

Is it possible to drain the fuels out of the carbs without taking them off? From what ive read, the best solution is to disconnect the fuel line from the 3pm position on the petcock.. hook a rubber line down into a gas can.. then turn the petcock to prime and it should allow the fuel to freely flow... then remove tank, drain all gas, then wipe out the entire thing for any sentiment.

I dont work on my bike much but im also at a position where I cant really TAKE it anywhere.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
there's a allen bolt on bottom of carb to drain the bowl gas, the PRI on the petcock allows the gas in tank to flow freely

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fill the tank with gas and take it for a highway ride. Fill it again and ride some more, it will clear the carbs.
If you want you can add an additive but doubt you will need that if you just go riding, should clear up.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Carb could be gummed up, so try to drain it, use a carb cleaner, and try running it.

It sounds like my wife's old Shadow 600. She let it sit too long, and even with fuel stabilizer, the carb got so gummed up it would only run with choke on and full throttle. I rode it for a good long while like that and still couldn't get it to un-stick, so off to the mechanic it went (I don't have a garage or time to work on the bikes).

Good luck!

-John

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So last night I drained all the gas out of it through the petcock.. set it to prime and drained everything. Removed the tank and took it home.. wiped all the gas out and got a vaccum in it to try and get any particles\debris that was in the tank out. I charged the battery so everything was good there.

I mixed 2 gallons of new 87 octane fuel with 4oz of seafoam in large jugs.. shook up the jugs so the seafoam was mixed into the gas and then added it to the tank. I ran the bike for 2 or 3 minutes with choke out not touching anything.

It will start on choke completely out.. petcock to ON of course. With choke all the way out.. if I crank the throttle just a LITTLE bit it starts to sputter.. if i give it a twist it almost dies. It dies completely when the choke is pushed in.

I opted not to drain the carb as it had been a few months since I had started it so I was lead to believe that after that amount of time there really wouldn't be any gas left in the carb.

I read that sometimes you have to let the seafoam sit for a few days for it to work its magic so that is what im doing. I will revisit the bike and try again on monday!

I have a video on removing the carb but I hate working on carbs, I always seem to have problems. So im trying not to pull it. If so, I guess i'll do it the right way and submerge in yamalube carb dip.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Yeah, it sounds to me like the carb is gummed up. You can get a bucket of carb cleaner and dunk the whole thing if you don't want to take it apart. AFAIK that won't hurt the carb.

-John

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I saw the berryman's carb dip.. im fine with that, but will that penetrate all the small orrifices \ jet holes as good as taking the carb apart and dipping the body, jets, components, etc individually ?

After I do the dip, would I not have to then re-adjust the idle screw or is that only if you replace the needle(s) ?

I guess if I take it apart I should get the rebuild kit since now its almost a 20 year old bike... $30 to get all new parts probably isnt a bad idea.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I saw the berryman's carb dip.. im fine with that, but will that penetrate all the small orrifices \ jet holes as good as taking the carb apart and dipping the body, jets, components, etc individually ?

After I do the dip, would I not have to then re-adjust the idle screw or is that only if you replace the needle(s) ?

I guess if I take it apart I should get the rebuild kit since now its almost a 20 year old bike... $30 to get all new parts probably isnt a bad idea.
I would do the rebuild, especially if you already have the carb off... I've never done it, but it doesn't look too complicated if you have any mechanical skills (I do not have the confidence to do it, nor the space or time).

If you're not going to do the rebuild, I'd put on gloves and agitate (read: swish around) the carb in the cleaner, to try and get the nooks.

Related: On my VN800, it wasn't ridden much one year, and the next year it ran OK, but I took it in for an oil change, and my mechanic said I must've been riding it a lot more because I had blown out whatever crap had built up in the carb. He adjusted the idle down, and it's been great ever since (I religiously put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank before letting it sit any more than a few weeks).

My point is that if there's just a little bit of crap in the carb, but it's not all gummed up (as might be the case if you dunked the carb but didn't take it apart), it may run well enough to blow out said crap. It'll take a good length ride (1+ hour) at varying speeds, but it does work. My wife's Shadow wouldn't get unstuck no matter what I did. I rode it around the neighborhood at full throttle for over an hour with no luck. Ended up trailering it to my mechanic for a carb service.

Oh, and if you want to clean out the jets, try a piece of wire out of a wire tie from a loaf of bread. A friend of mine runs a business repairing small engines, and I took my mower to him. He dropped the float bowl, wiped it out, and ran a wire from a wire tie up the jet. Cleaned it out and the mower ran again just fine.

-John

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you have already removed the carb, just give it a proper cleaning. A can of carb cleaner and a few screwdrivers are pretty much all you need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Check the air box under the gas tank it's probably full of leaves and shit from animals living in there that could be the problem of running it's air is being restricted

·
Registered
477 Posts
Check the air box under the gas tank it's probably full of leaves and shit from animals living in there that could be the problem of running it's air is being restricted
AFAIK, there's just the air filter in the airbox on the right side of the bike, nothing under the tank.

Good place to check, although I have a feeling he'd have different problems if the airbox was mucked up - the symptoms he's described all point to a lack of fuel (gummed-up carb).

-John

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally had time to get the carb off

Hey Guys..

Thanks for all the replys ..

To get it home.. I rode it about 2 or 3 miles.. it only would run while on full choke. In fact at about 60 on the highway (I had to take the highway to get it home, no other route) .. my thigh accidentally pushed the choke in and killed the bike.. so I coasted to the shoulder. Fun stuff.

I finally had time to get the carb off. In doing so, I broke off a piece.

I am including pictures.. probably too many. From the video's ive seen, this piece just runs a tube under the fender to the back of the bike, it doesnt seem to flow any fuel in or out of the carb.

None the less.. Here are the pics.

Can I just gorilla glue that thing back on ? It doesnt look like I can remove the entire piece.. it seems pretty well stuck in the carb.

From here, I got a carb rebuild kit.. I am just going to replace all the internal parts and then do an ultrasonic cleaning with yamalube as the cleaning solvent \ dip.

HOPEFULLY this will solve it.

Thank you all for your advice!

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey Guys..

Thanks for all the replys ..

To get it home.. I rode it about 2 or 3 miles.. it only would run while on full choke. In fact at about 60 on the highway (I had to take the highway to get it home, no other route) .. my thigh accidentally pushed the choke in and killed the bike.. so I coasted to the shoulder. Fun stuff.

I finally had time to get the carb off. In doing so, I broke off a piece.

I am including pictures.. probably too many. From the video's ive seen, this piece just runs a tube under the fender to the back of the bike, it doesnt seem to flow any fuel in or out of the carb.

None the less.. Here are the pics.

Can I just gorilla glue that thing back on ? It doesnt look like I can remove the entire piece.. it seems pretty well stuck in the carb.

From here, I got a carb rebuild kit.. I am just going to replace all the internal parts and then do an ultrasonic cleaning with yamalube as the cleaning solvent \ dip.

HOPEFULLY this will solve it.

Thank you all for your advice!

I think that is the air vent hose, which keeps atmospherical pressure in some carb chambers, to allow correct function of the carb. Try to fit any hose there, on the rest of that piece, and route it like the stock one, avoid any dirt to go into the carb. Should be no issue.

If I'm wrong, please somebody with more knowledge, chime in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that is the air vent hose, which keeps atmospherical pressure in some carb chambers, to allow correct function of the carb. Try to fit any hose there, on the rest of that piece, and route it like the stock one, avoid any dirt to go into the carb. Should be no issue.

If I'm wrong, please somebody with more knowledge, chime in.
Alright! Thanks for the heads up.

I will just find a smaller zip tie and put the original hose over the end of the port and zip tie it on there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Air vent for the carb bowl. If you can get it glued on, go for it. Just don't plug it or the fuel won't flow. As for you original problem, it sounds like your idle circuit if gummed/clogged up. Take out the pilot jet and give it a shot of carb cleaner as well as the idle circuit hole.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
sounds like when you blip the throttle and the bike dies that there is too much air and not enough fuel, too lean in the fuel/air mixture, the bike is not getting enough fuel, could be a plugged up pilot jet, with a bike sitting a long time with gas in the carb bowl, the gas will eventually turn into jellow and plug up the pilot jet, with a plugged jet or air hole in the carb the bike will be starving for fuel, you might have to remove the carb and make sure the jet and pilot mixture screw hole is not plugged

1 - 16 of 16 Posts