Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone done this? rake is 2 degrees bigger on the custom compared to the classic, how much of a difference would this make?

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Where did you get the info on rake difference? Frames are the same so if there is a difference it has to be engineered in the triple trees.
I have done this with the goal being tubeless tires. Aluminum wheels from a 500 are easily modified to fit.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where did you get the info on rake difference? Frames are the same so if there is a difference it has to be engineered in the triple trees.
I have done this with the goal being tubeless tires. Aluminum wheels from a 500 are easily modified to fit.
just found the info 2005 800b 32 degrees 2005 800a 34 degrees

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_vulcan_800_2005.php
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/kawasaki_vulcan_800_classic_2005.php

any idea if the fork tubes are the same length? read the axles are different sizes, so a full front end swap would be best?

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Interesting, learn something new every day!
The b model shares tubes with a 1500Classic, unknown as to lenght of even the A models siting in my garage.
I have performed this swap a dozen times using a 19" front wheel from a 500 Vulcan with no significant effect, other than it handles twice as good as it did with the skinny tire

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, learn something new every day!
The b model shares tubes with a 1500Classic, unknown as to lenght of even the A models siting in my garage.
I have performed this swap a dozen times using a 15" front wheel from a 500 Vulcan with no significant effect, other than it handles twice as good as it did with the skinny tire
someone also stated that putting a 16 on the stock bike lowers it about 2.5 inches, this effects handling in a good way? the only the im really worried about is the handling. im trying to keep with the spoke wheels

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I used a 110/90-19 on my bike. I had to raise the front fender up 3/4" to get the clearance needed to turn.
I used a 100/90-19 on my wifes bike it fit without raising fender.
What size tire you running now?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Does anyone else have any info on this matter?
I made the swap and the handling seems better. To make the swap you'll either need to swap out the bearings on the B 16" wheel to those on
the A 21" wheel. The classic used a 20mm axle and the custom used a 15mm.
I happened to find a complete front fork assembly on ebay so I swapped out the forks to use the 20mm axle. You could also just swap out the fork tubes
but the B used a 2 piston caliper and the A a single piston, I changed to the 2
so I'm not sure if the single will bolt up to the B mounts. I also used the front wheel from the 1500 as it was the only one I could find at the time that was at a reasonable price. Don't forget you'll also need the axle and spacers from the B should you decide to change the fork tubes.
All the pieces bolted up without any problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made the swap and the handling seems better. To make the swap you'll either need to swap out the bearings on the B 16" wheel to those on
the A 21" wheel. The classic used a 20mm axle and the custom used a 15mm.
I happened to find a complete front fork assembly on ebay so I swapped out the forks to use the 20mm axle. You could also just swap out the fork tubes
but the B used a 2 piston caliper and the A a single piston, I changed to the 2
so I'm not sure if the single will bolt up to the B mounts. I also used the front wheel from the 1500 as it was the only one I could find at the time that was at a reasonable price. Don't forget you'll also need the axle and spacers from the B should you decide to change the fork tubes.
All the pieces bolted up without any problems.
thanks a lot, good info to know. now i just need to know if the trees of either model add or take away from the rake. would having a smaller from wheel cause the rake to be smaller?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't believe that there is any offset in the trees. I do know that changing the front wheel dia doesn't effect the rake angle but it does change the trail.
Check out the link below and it will explain how wheel dia will change rake and trail. Other things that effect rake and trail are lowering the rear of the bike or lowering the front by shorting the tube length.

http://bikearama.com/theory/motorcycle-rake-trail-explained/

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I used a 110/90-19 on my bike. I had to raise the front fender up 3/4" to get the clearance needed to turn.
I used a 100/90-19 on my wifes bike it fit without raising fender.
What size tire you running now?

I found a 1997 1500L C4 19" front wheel and tire. Will if work on my 2000 1500 classic?

·
Registered
8 Posts
sorry to wake this post again guys and please bare with me as im new to this forum and new to mods, i have a 16" on my 800 at the moment and also have a 21" spare, the previous owner painted the wheels black so im looking for a good chrome 16" but cant seem to source one any where, my question is is there another 16 spoke that i could use if not how hard would it be fitting the 21" thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I took off my old rear blinkers and put on some 3 wire small universals. It was working fine when I was testing then I went to start the bike and go for a ride and no matter if I hit left or right it's only the right coming on, dim and not blinking. New blinkers came with a 6inch wire whip that I cut the old blinkers off and attached them appropriately. Please help

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
So I took off my old rear blinkers and put on some 3 wire small universals. It was working fine when I was testing then I went to start the bike and go for a ride and no matter if I hit left or right it's only the right coming on, dim and not blinking. New blinkers came with a 6inch wire whip that I cut the old blinkers off and attached them appropriately. Please help
Welcome to the forums!

Please fill in your profile to include your bike/location info and that
is easier using a PC vs the app. This will help others answer questions you may ask knowing what year and model bike you have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts