Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I've recently joined the forum looking for some advice!

I have taken the body work off recently to be repainted and now putting it back together the bike won't start up!

Long story short. I can get the engine running if I bypass the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. I've bought an new solenoid and it still does the same thing! Because it is a 4 pin connector. I am looking for some help on what I should be checking for the 4 pins to allow the solenoid to start.

I've have checked the connections on all the plugs that I've unplugged, fuses, condition of the battery, kill switch is the right place, side stand up,the neutral gear light is on and the starter button is working as I heard the fuel pump briefly running dry after I refuelled the tank and pressing the button.

Following some advice on the older threads I have tried checking the voltage on the solenoid to the battery and leaving the key on and off for 5 minutes still no significant difference. The last reading I have checked is the black and red wire that goes into the junction box from the starter button and testing while pressing the button and I get a good reading too so just wondering where I should check next?

Bit stumped now, any advice would be awesome!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @magicgrotto Thanks for the welcome!
Cheers for the idea! I have checked it but no luck though, just tried it again now in case I was having a brain fart moment lol

I did replace the clutch and brake hoses as well, I made sure the clutch fluid was refilled and bubble free before starting up but don't think that would give me any issues?
Just wondering if theres any other wires I could check to see if I'm grounding or loosing voltage for the solenoid?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hahahahahah Well the only BRAIN FART i can come up with is the 30amp fuse in the solenoid Then check you have power to the solenoid :)

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha thanks I appreciate it! I got a new solenoid so fuse is good and I've checked the low and high currents inside it too just not sure where to go from there really with the 4 pin connector :doh:

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Do you have a meter and know how to use it? If so, post make and model # of meter.
No meter? we can help there too.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
OK:

1. Push red meter lead down beside yellow/red wire on start solenoid to contact pin.
2, Black meter lead to battery ground.
3. Key on, push/hold start button and take voltage reading.

Post back with 1 reading.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it's on the run position. Checked again this morning and getting constant 0.01 volts with iginition on, with pressing start button and when not pressing it.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
1. Locate junction (fuse) box.
2. Push red meter lead down beside black/red wire in connector to contact pin.
3. Black meter lead to battery ground.
4. Key on, push start button and take reading.

Post back with reading.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Black / red wire reading at 11.8 volts.

Just got a wiring diagram, would it be an issue with the starter circuit relay in the junction box from the looks of it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I couldn't find yellow/green wire I'm afraid.

I retested, same test as before, the yellow/red wire from the junction box and got constant 0.01 volts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts