Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a Vulcan owner yet, but I am looking at moving up from my current classic '86 Honda Shadow VT500 to a '97 Vulcan 800.
I need something a little bigger/longer (I'm 6'2") and a bike that will be decent for occasional 2-up riding, but my main riding is my commute...22 miles per day...so 50+ mpg would be nice and light weight would be convenient.

Is there anything I should know about the older Vulcans that would make it a bad choice for me? Are parts difficult to get? The parts market is getting slim on the '80s Shadows and that's another reason I'm thinking of upgrading.

Thanks for any advice. :smile2:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've got a 96 800a, bought from a friend for 500$ with 25000 miles on it. New tires, chain and sprockets (changed the ratios for hwy), new wheel bearing all around. New clutch few minor tune up parts and a new battery. Have had it for about 4 years now. Been pretty reliable. Seems that rubber parts are starting to deteriorate so I've been changing them slowly. Oh and new mustang seat.

Guess a for a twenty year old bike it's not bad. Ride it with my wife on back no problem running 80 on the interstate. Seems to average around 45mpg. I can baby it and get it up to around 50mpg. If I get into it I can get around 35mpg.

I guess my only negative on it is I wish it had better brakes on the rear. My last bike (v65 Magna) had way better brakes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!
I checked out the potential bike today: '97, 21k miles, near perfect condition, aftermarket pipes (it sounds awesome), new front tire and tube, recent complete tune-up including carb removal/clean/reinstall and tank removal/clean/reinstall and a full meticulous detail...the bike needs nothing and it's registered for the next 2 years.
Guy wants $2k for it and that is top dollar according to kbb.
I may pull the trigger on Monday or Tuesday if I'm not talked out of it... :)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Think that's a little High,could get a nice 9 for what he is asking,just my opinion,I also went from a shadow 750 to the 900 classic,much better overall bike,,again just my opinion,never Rode the 800 so I can't compare,Good luck w whatever u decide

1 - 4 of 4 Posts