Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks I am picking this one up for cheap. Owner states bike died and tested the stator at 12.9 v. He started taking is apart and says the motor needs pulled to replace it. I am trying to confirm if this is in fact true? I would appreciate bany assistance and feedback.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
POG

Two very tender spots on those years:

1. POG and
2. 2nd gear grinding and jumping out. I do not believe the parts are available, new, to make this repair.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
POG

Two very tender spots on those years:

1. POG and

2. 2nd gear grinding and jumping out. I do not believe the parts are available, new, to make this repair.
I'm thinking being the bike has 40 k on the clock and according to the data I MAY be OK. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I haven't noticed any 2nd gear issues with mine, other than sometimes I shift and end up in neutral rather than 2nd. Look at my freebies in parts if you need anything I've got sitting here at the house.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't noticed any 2nd gear issues with mine, other than sometimes I shift and end up in neutral rather than 2nd. Look at my freebies in parts if you need anything I've got sitting here at the house.
Awesome thank you!

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
, other than sometimes I shift and end up in neutral rather than 2nd. .
That is how it starts out and only gets worse over time.
Kawasaki had a secret warranty on the issue, long since expired. Replacing with used parts will not fix it unless they are the updated parts as supplied by Kawasaki.

I am just trying to warn you about the issues so that you do not sink money into a bike that jumps (or grinds) on the second gear shift, or has a POG that has been sheared, but it is up to you. Do some research on the problems.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So, get a Clymer's manual and see what's out there for new parts you think? The book I've seen online looks like the same idea Chiltons ones I had for my Chevette and S-10. Teardown and rebuild of pretty much everything.

Won't be this winter, but maybe next. There's snow from October-ish through maybe April, so 'll have plenty of time for this project (and if I can figure out how to incorporate it into homeschool credit for my kids... Mwahahah!)

Think it'd be worth it? I'd really rather have an older bike like this, and I'd be worried that grabbing another one would just be inheriting problems that I don't know about until it's too late.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I have not had any problem finding factory/Kawasaki OEM service/repair manuals online. Have not looked specifically for this bike, but several others were easily found.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts