Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. wondering if someone can help me test the headlight cct .no headlight .i have tested the bulb on another bike and it is good . Help, i,m lost .Thanks . Rod.

·
Registered
63 Posts
With the bike running, check that the RED/YELLOW wire has power (low beam). RED/BLACK is high beam and BLACK/YELLOW anywhere on the bike is ground.

If you're getting power, check if your ground is good (try grounding the circuit manually to eliminate that as a problem).

If you're not getting power to the lines out to your headlight, you need to start working backwards. Check your fuse panel. Is the fuse good or blown? If the fuse is good, is there power coming out of the BLUE/YELLOW wire from your fuse panel? That goes to your dimmer switch on the left handlebar. The dimmer switch (hi/low) then sends the power to the light through the RED/YELLOW and RED/BLACK.

If you have power coming out of your fuse panel but not getting to your dimmer switch, you likely have a broken wire somewhere. If power gets to the dimmer switch (BLUE/YELLOW) but not out the wires to your headlight (RED/YELLOW, RED/BLACK) then your switch is faulty.

If you have no power coming out of your fuse panel (BLUE/YELLOW), then you have a bad fuse, or you have a bad headlight relay, which is soldered to the fuse panel board inside.

If power gets everywhere successfully, you got a bad headlight unit or wire connector on the headlight unit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you don't have them, get yourself a circuit tester (aka 'test light') and a multimeter that has a resistance (ohms) feature. This will give you everything you need to test your wiring on the bike (power, voltage, continuity). Without these tools, you're shootin' in the dark..... literally! Haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you don't have them, get yourself a circuit tester (aka 'test light') and a multimeter that has a resistance (ohms) feature. This will give you everything you need to test your wiring on the bike (power, voltage, continuity). Without these tools, you're shootin' in the dark..... literally! Haha.
Danr78. Dan ,thaks very much for your input. Unfortunately i will not be able to test things as i am now away for 3 months. However this will get me started once i return home . I read that you can apply power to the relay switch in the fuse box and will hear it click if it is good ? i got a used relay box and tried it ( shooting in the dar k as no idea if it was good ) Ha. Anyway i have the tools but not so good with electrical stuff . Thanks again ,i will let you know once home again. Rod

1 - 4 of 4 Posts