Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to forum. Just purchased bike w/42K miles and checked compression. Compression was 180 front and 165 rear. Then I set the valve clearances to spec. (7 out of 8 were off. The front intakes had NO clearance. Others were off. Some off big.) So after shimming to spec all the valves, I did another compression test. I got 140 and 140! How could this be? FYI: Bike was cold both times, throttle open, and used the same compression tester. Do valve clearances affect compression like that?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Did you happen to squirt a small amount of oil into the cylinders right before testing? This helps the rings to seal during the test in cars, cant think it would be any different in a bike. I've only checked my compression once on my 05 and that was just prior to changing worn cams at 97k miles. Intended to recheck afterwards, but never did.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didn't. Maybe the first test with the high readings had more oil on them. I had started the bike and let it idle a couple hours before working on it. Then the second readings were taken after the valve clearances were set and the bike had sit for a couple of days. IDK, makes me want to warm the bike up and take a new set of readings. Bike runs great, no issues. Just getting data for down the road.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts