Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All! New Member, New Bike. First time Kawasaki Owner.

Got this Bike Mid-May. 9,200 miles. Aftermarket Mustang Seat, T-Bar handlebar & Cobra Slash Cut Exhaust. New Tires and Battery. $2,500.00.

I knew it was a bit higher than the KBB, but I figured with a newer set of tires and battery along with the low miles it was worth it. Very minor blemishes to paint job and overall bike was well maintained and always garage kept.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Post your symptoms in the 1500 forum. Not many gear heads are in the new member area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do, still am not considered a "full member yet" I'm still trying to figure out which hoops I need to jump through in order to post new threads in those forums. For now this was the only place I was allowed to post.

But thanks, I've been trolling here for a week or two now, a lot of really nice people on here.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Will do, still am not considered a "full member yet" I'm still trying to figure out which hoops I need to jump through in order to post new threads in those forums. For now this was the only place I was allowed to post.

But thanks, I've been trolling here for a week or two now, a lot of really nice people on here.
The new member delay is set up to catch spammers from what I have heard. Keep trying to post a new thread. It won't take long.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just got my bike about a month ago. Didn't immediately change my oil. I decided to change it till 2 weeks ago and it was as dirty as yours is here. Looked pretty bad I thought. I've done my car oil changes since I can remember and the oil I got out of this bike was the dirtiest I have ever seen. Maybe it just gets dirty, but it looked bad. Glad I caught it when I did and glad you got yours taken care of as well. Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
32 Posts
TeemBeam, your bike looks nice and clean. I have the same bike, got mine end of summer last year, also my first Kawasaki. I like the torque and giddy-up, my biggest disappointment is that aftermarket goodies are very hard to find. Also not thrilled with the shifting of gears, sometimes I have to double click going thru 2-4th and it's clanky.

I ended up putting the Memphis Shade with quick disconnect bracket as the windshield, pricey but worth it. Next up is to put floorboards with heel/toe shifter, got one from a classic model, but looks like I may need to do a little modifying to get them on.

Anyway, nice to meet you, and please share as much info as you can, not too much info gets shared on these models. Here's mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TeemBeam, your bike looks nice and clean. I have the same bike, got mine end of summer last year, also my first Kawasaki. I like the torque and giddy-up, my biggest disappointment is that aftermarket goodies are very hard to find. Also not thrilled with the shifting of gears, sometimes I have to double click going thru 2-4th and it's clanky.

I ended up putting the Memphis Shade with quick disconnect bracket as the windshield, pricey but worth it. Next up is to put floorboards with heel/toe shifter, got one from a classic model, but looks like I may need to do a little modifying to get them on.

Anyway, nice to meet you, and please share as much info as you can, not too much info gets shared on these models. Here's mine.
Nice to meet you too Yosemite, I have noticed there are not a lot of us Vulcan L's on here! Gatta stick together!

With that said, I love the torque on this bike! I'm upgrading from a 78 Yamaha XS750SE Triple, so this bike has much bigger *cough* cylinders than the last one. For real though, I love the power and short wheelbase of this bike. I find it pretty agile.

I love the way the bike looks fully dressed. If I keep the bike long term i'm def going to be doing some sort of crashbar and highway peg situation for this bike. I'm in desperate need to stretch my legs out while I ride. I find the pegs in a weird spot. AND WATCH OUT FOR THAT REAR CYLINERS HEADER! HOT STUFF! = P

Did you buys the bags and do you know which company they are? They look nice and not too crazy big.

How many miles are on your bike? I bought this one with 9000 miles, and i' m regretting getting a bike with such low mileage. I'm worried about dried up seals on the top end. I do have some "grey/white" smoke at cold start up now, I don't think it's coolant because I have not really lost any since it's started. however, I do seem to be going through some oil.

You mention getting stuck between gears sometimes. I also get stuck between gears sometimes on this transmission, a little aggravating, but It's not exceptionally loud or clunky. (I'm coming form a 1978 shaft drive).

Did you put the T bar on? I wonder what that stock handlebar feel was?

The carbs are shot on my bike, I need to get them done. Guy never rejetted carbs when he put the cobra slash cut exhaust on either so that's not helping me acheive a nice smooth idle. The carbs were also dumping fuel into my piston i'm quite confident. My oil smelled like gas when I changed it. I'm making sure that petcock is off all the time. Even at gas stations now. Also, I think my valve cover gasket is going, i'm getting some serious smoke at start up for first minute or so. I burned through some serious oil so far. The coolant seems to be staying at level. I'm also getting a small bit of oil/unburned fuel seeping from Exhaust manifold.

2. I also feel like this bike is exceptional when it comes to vibrations. When I bought it I thought it was combo of bad gas and gunked carbs... But i've put 800 miles on it already and it's still quite unpleasant. Do you experience any vibrations on yours?

Other than that, once it gets to temp it's driving great, no loss of power, no smoke under any load or at idle once warm. Just popping on deceleration sometimes, and the vibrations. Motor sounds strong and no exceptionally loud clicking/ticking/slapping. I'll keep you updated as time goes on. I just hope it's not a bad piston ring or head issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
TB2, sorry for the delay in response. My bags are River Road slants, I had to relocate my turn signals to allow them to hang and open properly, I just attached them to the fender (real easy).

The bars are what come stock on the US models of this bike. My bike has 16,000 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts