Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought some bullet aftermarket blinkers off of ebay and they only have a red/black wire.

The factory bulbs have a gray, blue, and black with yellow stripe wires going to them. I can't get anything to blink, all I can get is power to the turn signal but it doesnt flash, just stays solid. Any help? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
So I bought some bullet aftermarket blinkers off of ebay and they only have a red/black wire.

The factory bulbs have a gray, blue, and black with yellow stripe wires going to them. I can't get anything to blink, all I can get is power to the turn signal but it doesnt flash, just stays solid. Any help? Thanks!
what youve bought is a single filament bulb. connect it to either the grey (flasher) or blue (side light) it wont do both. The green/black is ground, and the metal bolt on the bullet is ground.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So youre saying if I connect the grey wire (flasher), and then ground the yellow/black to the bolt on the bullet it will flash when i turn the signal on?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
So youre saying if I connect the grey wire (flasher), and then ground the yellow/black to the bolt on the bullet it will flash when i turn the signal on?
from what you wrote, you have a metal bolt to hold it on the bike, and a single wire coming from inside the bolt. If this is correct, then yes, you have a single filament bulb and the bolt is the ground.

now it gets a bit more complicated. usually these bulbs are 5 watt running lamps. If you connect that to your bikes flasher wire, it will flash very quickly, as a normal flasher bulb is 21 watts.
You can get round this, but its not simple, and it seems you have very basic electrical skills, so my advice is if you really need a flasher and running lamp combined, it would be best to sell what you have bought by mistake and get the right thing.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are two wires coming from inside the bullet bulb - a red and a black. The bike has the 3 wires, grey, blue, and yellow/black (ground).

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
There are two wires coming from inside the bullet bulb - a red and a black. The bike has the 3 wires, grey, blue, and yellow/black (ground).
ok, your first post wasnt clear, it looked like there was only one wire coloured red/black.

Have you removed the lens and checked the bulb? if the two little side retaining pins are equal, and the base has a central soldered spot, then you have a single filament bulb, and the wires are hot, and ground. If the pins are offset so you can only insert it one way and the base has two seperate soldered spots, you have a double filament bulb and the wires are one for running, one for flash, and the mounting bolt is the ground.
On the bike, the black/ green (yellow?) is the ground wire. Kawasaki use a lot of ground wires. The grey wire is the flasher live, and the red wire is the running light live.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay.

So since I have a single red and single black from the bullet signal, is there a way to make it flash? If so, how can I do that assuming one of the two scenarios you explained above is the case for the lights I have?

I am more concerned about them blinking, not staying on all the time.

Could you explain either situation for me to make them work, if you dont mind? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Okay.

So since I have a single red and single black from the bullet signal, is there a way to make it flash? If so, how can I do that assuming one of the two scenarios you explained above is the case for the lights I have?

I am more concerned about them blinking, not staying on all the time.

Could you explain either situation for me to make them work, if you dont mind? Thanks.
without you confirming what bulb you have, the simplest way is to access the battery terminals. put one wire to each terminal. if it lights up its a single filament and most likely wont flash at the correct rate.
If it doesnt light up, put the metal bolt of the lamp on the negative (minus) terminal, and touch each wire in turn to the live terminal.
Make sure when doing this that stray wires dont short the battery terminals to each other or the bike frame.
you should get one bright light and one dim light. The wire that gives the brightest light is to be connected to the grey wire on the bike. the flasher unit is in the bike, not the bulb. If it flashes very quickly, then you would need to remove the bulb and check the wattage. it needs to be 21 watts to flash at the correct speed.
Securely tape and insulate any wires you dont want when connecting to the bike..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, sounds simple enough.

When I do test the bulb and determine it is a single filament, can I just buy a double filament bulb, and then move on to the second instruction you gave in your last post?

If so and/or I get one bright and one dim...What do I do with the black/yellow ground from the bike? Ground that to the mounting bolt on the bullet blinker?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Okay, sounds simple enough.

When I do test the bulb and determine it is a single filament, can I just buy a double filament bulb, and then move on to the second instruction you gave in your last post?

If so and/or I get one bright and one dim...What do I do with the black/yellow ground from the bike? Ground that to the mounting bolt on the bullet blinker?
No, you cant just use a twin filament lamp in a single filament socket. Youre now into complicated and fiddly modifications that frankly arent worth the time and effort.
Any unused wires can be wrapped and secured, but its fine to add the ground wire to the light holder bolt whatever happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts