Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Vulcan 88 1500A I have a no start issue. No neutral light unless you pull clutch in. But no spark with or without clutch engaged or not. When I touch the clutch safety switch with my test light there's a very dull light. Not bright at all. New coils, wires, caps, plugs, stator, pick up coils, rectifier, starter solenoid, ground wires, and positive wires. New clutch safety switch, oil pressure sensor. When this first happened, I found a pick up coil, the wire had shriveled up and bare wire was in the oil. Prolly burned something up. I've found front right weight bearing wouldn't freely spin one way so i cleaned it up and put it back together and now is fine. The torque limiter is loose. Pretty loose, is there something in there that could have sheared something and now causing me hell? The bike will crank until the battery dies but no spark. Plz help

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a 1995 Vulcan 88 1500A I have a no start issue. No neutral light unless you pull clutch in. But no spark with or without clutch engaged or not. When I touch the clutch safety switch with my test light there's a very dull light. Not bright at all. New coils, wires, caps, plugs, stator, pick up coils, rectifier, starter solenoid, ground wires, and positive wires. New clutch safety switch, oil pressure sensor. When this first happened, I found a pick up coil, the wire had shriveled up and bare wire was in the oil. Prolly burned something up. I've found front right weight bearing wouldn't freely spin one way so i cleaned it up and put it back together and now is fine. The torque limiter is loose. Pretty loose, is there something in there that could have sheared something and now causing me hell? The bike will crank until the battery dies but no spark. Plz help
On many motorcycles, the switch that turns on the neutral light is also used for the starter interlock and a steering diode is installed to ensure the two circuits don't interfere with each other. A typical indication that the diode (often referred to as a rectifier on parts diagrams) has shorted is if the neutral light come on if you pull in the clutch - i.e. the clutch lever is triggering the neutral light, not the neutral switch. You need to find the diode and replace it. The Partzilla parts fiche shows a diode (I think) Ref 21061 but curiously it doesn't show up in the associated parts list. (but that is the same fiche reference number for the diode on later model Vulcans).

·
Registered
249 Posts
I did a little digging as well, and it looks like the specific part number will be 21061-1003

This is the diode rectifier showing use from the late 80's all the way through the 2018 models (over 150 different models).

Oddly, it shows for the 94 Vulcan 88 (VN1500-A8), but not for the 95. Then it picks up in 96 for the 1500 Classic (VN1500-D1).

With that said, I can't be 100% sure of fitment, but it's looking close enough I'd take the chance personally.

A quick look around on eBay shows me 2 totally different parts carrying the same number, so make sure you know what your part looks like and order accordingly. I'm attaching thumbnails of the 2 parts... The first is the rectifier/voltage regulator. This usually isnt the part going bad in this instance. The second is the rectifier diode. A little thing with 2 terminals. I believe this is the part in question.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
The second is the rectifier diode. A little thing with 2 terminals. I believe this is the part in question.

A 30 cent diode from Radio Shack will get the job done - you just need to solder or crimp it to some spade lugs and plug it into the connector - if it doesn't work - plug it in the opposite way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts