Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I accidentally pulled a hose a long time ago and I don't know where it goes. it came from under my tank, has no colored tape and smells of gas. Also there is another one with green tape on it and I don't know where that one leads either. please help. if a very simple, colored diagram could be drawn up for me, that would be appreciated. I've looked in manuals and they are inconclusive. Right now my bike is behaving as if it is running out of fuel every 5 to 7 minutes. when sitting and on, its idle slowly decreases. on the road, it just bogs down and will start back up when I turn it over. some tell me this is due to a dirt carb. Any other causes? Please help.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
can you take pictures and post them here?

·
Registered
245 Posts
so I accidentally pulled a hose a long time ago and I don't know where it goes. it came from under my tank, has no colored tape and smells of gas. Also there is another one with green tape on it and I don't know where that one leads either. please help. if a very simple, colored diagram could be drawn up for me, that would be appreciated. I've looked in manuals and they are inconclusive. Right now my bike is behaving as if it is running out of fuel every 5 to 7 minutes. when sitting and on, its idle slowly decreases. on the road, it just bogs down and will start back up when I turn it over. some tell me this is due to a dirt carb. Any other causes? Please help.
what size hose?
i've been all over mu carb/engine/exhaust.
attaching a pic. only "marked green" hose I've seen is a carb vent. off the top of the carb on the right side (throttle side).
this pic just shows placement - hose runs underneath the frame and past the left side of the battery, then down to under the frame. pretty sure its a "vent" tube.

what size is that unmarked hose? 1/4" inside? left side (clutch side) of the bike? maybe it's your vacuum to the fuel petcock.
these bikes dont flow fuel from the tank unless the engine is running, pulling vacuum to open the fuel valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
in that picture with hose with green tape on it, that's a air vent hose, it vents atmospheric air pressure to the inside of the carb bowl

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Right now my bike is behaving as if it is running out of fuel every 5 to 7 minutes

i filled up once at a gas station, and rode for about 5 minutes and the bike died. I opened up the gas cap and heard a swish of air rush into the tank. then i started the bike and all was good for another 5 minutes. then i thought, there's a vacuum in the tank, so i blew out the vent line and all was good after that, that experience taught me not to over-fill the tank and plug up the gas tank vent hose that needs to breathe freely to the outside air

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now my bike is behaving as if it is running out of fuel every 5 to 7 minutes

i filled up once at a gas station, and rode for about 5 minutes and the bike died. I opened up the gas cap and heard a swish of air rush into the tank. then i started the bike and all was good for another 5 minutes. then i thought, there's a vacuum in the tank, so i blew out the vent line and all was good after that, that experience taught me not to over-fill the tank and plug up the gas tank vent hose that needs to breathe freely to the outside air
you blew out the vent line? where is that?

today i seafoamed the carb. Much of it ended up on the ground because it leaked out of the air cleaner drain, where there should be a line running to i-don't-know-where. tomorrow i will do the fuel treatment version of seafoam. Should this be effective?

the green line was found running from the carb to an area under the battery. i'm assuming that end is open...? that other line i was talking about is completely removed from the bike and smells of fuel. it too was open ended. i just don't remember what side of the bike it was on. I'm going to post these photos for your assessment and examination but i'd like to reiterate that the previous owner let it sit for 8 months

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
you blew out the vent line? where is that?

that gas tank vent line needs more explanation, the line i blew out was the one going from the little hole at the gas cap, i just opened up the gas cap and used my mouth to blow out the gas in that vent line, the line goes from the gas cap to the outside air underneath the bike, it is for allowing outside air to enter the inside of the gas tank as the gas in the tank depletes down, if no air is replaced then it created a vacuum inside the gas tank and that will stop the gas flow to the carb. also underneath the gas tank are 2 hoses connected to the nipples under the tank, those 2 hoses are air vent lines and exit underneath the bike to the outside air.
the carb itself has 1 hose going to the petcock, that's a air vacuum hose that is used by the petcock to open up a small plunger in the petcock to let the gas flow to the carb bowl, another hose on the carb is a air vent hose at the top of the carb that vents to the outside air, that hose can exit anywhere and can end open ended near the battery or in one of the side covers, that hose is to let the air in the carb bowl to vent, that hose has a little green tape on it and it is open ended to the outside air. the other hose on the carb is your gas line hose, there's a cable also on the carb , that one is your choke cable

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Last night I seafoamed the bike with the tank additive. After revving it and letting it die a bunch of times, I let it sit. All the hoses seem to be in order except that one that I pulled from the bike and the line coming from the bottom of the air cleaner.

Now the 2 nipples on the bottom of the tank: The gas cap vent was blown into and air was moving through as it should. The other nipple did not at all allow any air to pass through. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
one of the nipples on the bottom of the gas tank is for the gas cap filler location vent hole, I don't know what the other nipple is for, and for the line coming from the bottom of the air cleaner, if your air clearner is stock, there's 2 on the bottom, the larger one is the motor crankcase breather/blow out fuel mist return to air intake hose, the other smaller one is a air cleaner excess oil mist drain hose to bottom of bike for coating the road with oil mist

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
Are they about 3/8" diameter? If it is from the right side, then it is a tank vent tube that plugs in to the nipple in the front, right, bottom of the tank. You will have to lay umder the tank to find it. If it is from the left side of the tank, then there are two. On goes from the petcock to the carb and the other goes from the petcock to a vacuum cylinder which operates the petcock. Sounds like that is the one that is off. The petcock is vacuum operated and won't flow freely (unless in the "Prime" position) if the vacuum hose is off.

There is also a larger one that connects from one of the valve covers to the back of the intake box. If that one is off, you will suck unfiltered air into the engine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts