Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1995 1500A. I bave changed the oil and gave it a tune up. When I first bought it it had a very loud pop from the rear cylinder. I changed the plugs and that went away. Ive cleaned the carbs and they have stock jetting. New plug wires and caps Bike has v&h pipes with no heat coloring. Wcrews at 3 turns out. It idles and runs fine up till about 1/2 throttle then it starts to pop from the exhaust on the back cylinder and just general run like crap on that cylinder. Cruises fine at idle to 1/2 throttle. I'm kinda stuck. Ive set the floats and the only thing I can think is the main is to small. Any other suggestions? Im gonna do a new main this weekend and maybe shim the needles. Anything I am overlooking? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Be aware that the jet sizes are different in each cylinder.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I recently bought a 1995 1500A. I bave changed the oil and gave it a tune up. When I first bought it it had a very loud pop from the rear cylinder. I changed the plugs and that went away. Ive cleaned the carbs and they have stock jetting. New plug wires and caps Bike has v&h pipes with no heat coloring. Wcrews at 3 turns out. It idles and runs fine up till about 1/2 throttle then it starts to pop from the exhaust on the back cylinder and just general run like crap on that cylinder. Cruises fine at idle to 1/2 throttle. I'm kinda stuck. Ive set the floats and the only thing I can think is the main is to small. Any other suggestions? Im gonna do a new main this weekend and maybe shim the needles. Anything I am overlooking? Thanks guys
Theres one other thing that you might want to consider, but its not easy. The rear cylinder has a valve decompression system in the valve pit on top of the engine. Its a set of swinging weights with springs, and it lets the big engine start easy by not fully closing the valves. As the revs build, the weights swing out and the valves work normally. If something is wrong with that set up, it could cause your problems of backfiring and poor running.
Try the carb adjust first, but if that fails, you should consider taking the top off the rear cylinder.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Here's a link to a carb kit place that has a calculator...you put in what mods that has been done and it will tell what carb setup would be best...fair prices and free shipping...when I had issue in the mid-range...putting a washer or two under the needle helped a few times...sunnybob knows these bike inside and out...but I bet you sure hope its not that...this close to riding season...your not trying to pull that beast out of the frame...Hope this link helps...good luck... http://carbjetkits.com/

PS...Are you sure its not electrical...?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Try the carb adjust first, but if that fails, you should consider taking the top off the rear cylinder.
There are many things to check before pulling the heads off of the engine...plugs being first.

KACR is installed on BOTH cylinders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts