Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying all opinions welcome. Im new to the site and new to kawasaki. And Im sure with two small children this will be a slow build. Its a 94 vn1500. 27,000 miles and appears to be well taken care of. completely stock except for the unknown aftermarket exhaust. runs and rides great. does have the exhaust popping but it appears that someone has already deleted the reed valves. So definetly gotta figure that out, very annoying.

here are some pics. also included a pic of a 82 yamaha xj650. this was the last bike i built just to give you an idea of my style. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very nice. I just picked up a 95 VN1500A and I'm in the same boat as you. It will take me a while but it will get there!
jumpmaster

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I picked mine up a couple days before going out for double hernia surgery. Didn't even have time to ride other than my test drive. Although a week after my surgery ive been able to do a little tinkering just haven't been able to move it to get better pics. Test fit some new bars, stripped all the unneeded stuff and stripped the back. Gonna cut the factory seat and make it a low profile single seat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been able to get some more stuff done. kinda in a time crunch so been trying to do as much as possible. gotta figure out what way I want to go with the rear fender. The seat is just a leftover. gotta start trimming and covering the stock one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Lookin good man! I'm looking to do a similar black-out job to my engine this winter. How did you keep the edge of the fins shiny? The best I can come up with so far is just to paint it normally, then sand the edges and polish them up. Also, what kind of paint did you use on the spring to hold up to the flexing?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I just sprayed it and scrapped the edges with a razor blade. Its not super clean but at some point I will redo it and clean them off with a scotch brite pad on a dremel or something. As far as the paint on the spring I just used regular duplicolor semigloss black. I used the same on another bike and never really had an issue. I just always keep some on hand for touch up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great job on the blackout! Did you take the parts off to paint them? (engine covers, shocks & forks) Did you go with paint or plastidip? Did you use high temp paint/dip on the engine parts?

I bought some black plastidip and I was going to hit the tank, side covers and rear fender for now. BTW...I still have not figured out what to do with the rear fender either. I do not want to cut it until I do. In the meantime, I used a piece of a 76 Honda 550 rear fender I had just to have something back there. I am thinking of going with a pre fab 7" flat chopper fender. ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Chopper-Flat-Fender-Harley-Triumph-XS650-Bobber-Old-School-Chopper-/271606124270?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f3cfc8eee&vxp=mtr )

I will post some pics after the weekend.

Peace-out,
jumpmaster

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Unfortunately I didn't take many parts off. I just had double hernia surgery a little over a week ago so I wasnt able to pull alot of stuff off. I even had to have my wife come lift the tank off. I just tried to get as much dont as possible before heading back to work. Plus with the surgery im working a little slower. Hoping to get it close to where I want it for now so I can ride a little bit before the weather turns. House projects are starting January 1st so this will have to last til next year around this time for an increase in time and funds. I didnt dip anything. Used engine paint on the engine and just regular duplicolor for everything else. I do have some cleaning to do because of some over spray but thats simple with some scotch brite. Im definitely going to cut my fender just haven't figured out how. Im considering lowering it and haven't decided if I want to mount it to the frame or mount it tight to the tire on the swingarm. Choices choices. Definitely upload some pics. Always curious to see other ideas.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a chance to pull it out and take some better pics. I want to do a bobber style swing arm mounted fender but the cut factory one will work for now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks good! I posted mine on my profile. Same deal with me...I will come up with a plan. Start ordering parts. Once I get all parts and have a week... I will get it right!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good! I posted mine on my profile. Same deal with me...I will come up with a plan. Start ordering parts. Once I get all parts and have a week... I will get it right!
i checked it out. looks good. I like what you did with your wheels. Im thinking about blacking mine out but havent decided. Im not a big fan of chrome so im at least scuffing them with scotch brite to give them the brushed look. I will say im not a fan of the spring seats on a bike that has not been hardtailed. Just my opinion. looks good though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I was able to get the fender cut down and take it for a little ride on Sunday. Still want to trim the sides of the rear fender more but im liking it so far.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Looks nice! I know I'm resurrecting a dying thread, but did you do any special prep work to get the paint to stick to the fins? I'll probably get in there with a wire wheel if for no other reason than to get all the gunk out, but I'm a little paranoid that I'll spray mine with high temp paint and it will start flaking off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts