Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i just bought a 92 vulcan with 12000 miles on it. The bike had sat for a year and did not want to start. After a little work on the carbs it ran like a top, for about 3 miles. After that it quit running and I cannot get it to restart even after looking through the carbs again. All I can get the bike to do now is backfire, it doesnt even try to start. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it! Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well I have spent over 2 years over on the vn750.com site and not much time here, but will throw in my 2 cents worth.

The vn750 really likes a fully charged battery. Use multimeter to check for voltage of at least 12.5 V.

If you still have a wet cell, change it out for a Maintenance Free-Absorbed Glass Mat (MF-AGM) style.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-ETX15L-Powersports-AGM-Battery-100-NEW-/270282472155?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item3eee173adb

NGK Iridium DPR7EIX-9 spark plugs also make a world of difference for cold or hot hard starts. They cost a few dollars more, but do you want to ride or work on the bike?

Pour 6 to 8 oz. of Seafoam fuel treatment into a full tank of gas.

Drain the gas out of your carbs into a clear glass jar, and check for any dirt, etc.

If your bike is an early model with OFF-RUN-PRIME on the gas valve, turn to PRIME to fill the carbs.

If not apply vacuum to the middle nipple on the petcock on the tank, and turn to RUN to allow fresh gas to flow to the carbs and fill the bowls. Let it sit for a day or two to disolve any gum or varnish in the whole fuel system and try to start it again.

This seems like a fairly active site for the vn750, but if you need more help come on over to www.vn750 and see if we can get you going.

With respect to all the members here, I am not trying to recruit members away from this site, just offering another source of info for vn750 riders.

I will be spending more time here too reading some interesting thread topics that I just found.

Peace, and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you check the fuel filter?

First on my list. If you can blow through it it's good. If there is shit in it you may need to drain the tank. I had to on mine.
The battery voltage is crucial like dude said,It's probably the battery

1 - 3 of 3 Posts