Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a non-running, dilapidated, dry-rotted tires, slipping clutch, left outside for a year and a half 1992 VN1500a for a simple $375.00 (titled of course).

Picture here looks WAY better than the actual shape it was:

Got it pushed up onto the trailer and drove the hour back home to the shop. Before I even pulled it off of the trailer I had it fired up by charging the battery and keeping the enrichener on.

Pulled it into the shop and started to pull, clean, reshape, adapt and transform this beast.

8" straight HD risers, 28" drag bars, ear shave, new tires, fiberglass seat pan and some THOROUGH carb cleaning!

Now she is starting to come along:

Need to finish cleaning, foaming the seat pan, modifying the stock exhaust, lowering 2" in the rear and 1" in the front, replacing the weak clutch spring, and then next year...paint and chrome.
I think she is coming along nicely and have had a ball during the build and running it up and down the road!

Thanks for looking!

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good Work!

I had a 95 Vulcan 88 for 5 years, broke my heart selling it when I moved to the East Coast on a military reassignment.

One of the most enjoyable rides I have ever owned. Nice to see one fixed up after sitting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'm gonna leave the patina...it's kinda growing on me...Just about wrapped up:

·
Registered
152 Posts
and it doesn't whine and cry, it just bangs down the road. a thing of beauty. nice job!!! 375 hahahahaha fn great, the dope that sold it to you is still listening to the cow that made him sell it while you are enjoying the fruits of his misspent labor.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good find and great work. I love my 98 1500a. Imo the bubf is one of the best pure cruisers. Lots of power for under 600lbs. Mine is in great shape and I like it so much that I'll never sell it and when the time comes I'll have it rebuilt and fully restored. Good luck w yours

·
Registered
436 Posts
She looks good. You going to put a front fender on her or leave it off?

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
She looks good. You going to put a front fender on her or leave it off?

I'd put something on there. A rock through the radiator can make for a bummer of a day.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking for a smaller HD softail style fender for the front. Don't like the big old beast that came on it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I purchased my '96 1500A about 3 weeks ago and it too was neglected. I actually like the handlebars that were on the bike when you bought. Any chance you still have them and want to part with them?
I am also contemplating lowering my bike 2" in the back but how do you lower the front?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually like the handlebars that were on the bike when you bought. Any chance you still have them and want to part with them?
I do have them and the stock risers. They are definitely in "less than new" condition...lol
PM me an offer plus shipping from 45345 and they are yours...(it really won't take much of an offer)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seat

What'd you replace the seat with? I'd like to do something like that to mine. I have a 1993 vn1500 with the stock seat on still.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is a seat pan from an old Mustang seat, foam is from an old closed cell foam camping mat and cover is from a trimmed down Vulcan 900 classic stretched and trimmed to fit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts